Chapter Five

When Magnus Bane had thought "castle", he had thought something from Princess Diaries, not something that looked like this. The Lightwood's castle stood tall and proud. Imagine a castle in your head and triple it in size, and beauty and you'll get this castle. It stood with green vines twisting and growing along the carved stone walls. The brass gates looked polished and kept. The garden took his breath away, and not to mention the amount of glass work there was. Statues, and mosaics. Stain glass windows and murals, all made of glass in one way or another. It felt like a castle of glass. Alec, who recognized Magnus' awe, spoke up for the first time in a while7.

    "You know, we're in Alicante, Idris' capital. This city is known as the City of Glass."

    "It's beautiful." Magnus said. "Does it faze you that you live here?"

    "Sometimes. After a while, the glass walls seem to close in on you, and they feel more like bars to a cell then windows to a free country." was all he said before walking up ahead leaving Magnus alone in shocked silence.

Alec was swept away by maids and other people of the castle, to work on business. Magnus was left with Hodge in the foyer of the castle. The inside was just as beautiful if not more so. Tiles lines the floors, with beautiful draping banners of the country's flag and the family crest (a hand holding a torch).

    "I'll show you to your room, Mr. Bane." Hodge said finally, picking up his suitcase.

    "Thank you, Hodge." They walked in silence, until they reached what would be Magnus' suit. It was a floor below the Royal Family's rooms. His room had a massive bed with canary yellow bedsheets, and a white duvet. The drapes were grey and the floors were hardwood flooring a deep shade of chocolate brown. It was so much bigger and nicer than where he used to live in New York.

    "This is nice."

    "That's what I said too on my first day." Hodge agreed.

    "Is there anything I should know before I embarrass myself completely?"

"Address the royal family as his or her highness and for the queen your majesty. I understand the Prince Alexander allowed you to address him as 'Alec' but if the queen would ever hear that, she would have a heart attack. It is Prince Alexander or your highness. You will never dine with the family unless invited by the queen herself. Parties are off limit to staff unless—"

    "Let me guess, the queen says so?" Magnus said guessing.

    "You catch on fast. You do not have a uniform."

    "Thank god. I think I would have died if I did. No offence though." Magnus said looking at Hodge's suit.

    "None taken, sir. Please remember that you, like I, are below the family, so know your place, and don't get out of line."

    "With so many rules, who would want to stay?"

    "Money, and food. I'll inform the princess of your arrival. I'll send the Queen's Seamstress to show you to your work space. Good evening, Mr. Bane." With that, Hodge left the room. Magnus sighed. He could see why Alec thought this place was a prison. Too many things to remember and do. Magnus shook his head, clearing the thought of the prince away. He walked over to his closet and places all his clothes in it. Magnus changed into nice, not as tight, pants, and a white button down with lines of gold thread sown through it. He remember when Cat gave this shirt to him for his birthday. He smiled at the memory, and was interrupted by a knock at the door.

    "Come in." Magnus called. A small girl with red curls of hair walked in. She was wearing a maid like dress. It was cute on her. Her small heels clicked against the wood floors.

    "Mr. Bane?" the girls voice asked. She may have seemed small, but her voice was firm and strong yet very...adorable. Magnus nodded. "I'm Clary Fairchild. I'm her majesty's seamstress."

    "Nice to meet you." Magnus shook her hand.

    "I'm here to show you where you will be working. Follow me." Magnus picked up the pace to catch up to Clary. For a short girl, she moved pretty fast. She turned left, than right, than right again, left, right, stair case down a floor, then left, left, right, stair case, stair case, until they reached the basement. She pushed open a door, and it opened to a large room with two desks, a wall of fabric, yarn, and thread. Each desk had boxes of needles, and a large and small sewing machine. There were sewing mannequins everywhere. One side was obviously Clary's because fabric was strewn everywhere. Sketches were pinned on the wall and dresses were pinned to mannequins.

    "This is beautiful." Magnus said, walking to examine the ball gown Clary was working on. It was a deep red with lace and silk.

    "It's taken me forever. It's for the Christmas Eve party. This year is very important."

    "Why?"

    "Don't tell anyone I told you this but the prince is going to propose to his girlfriend, Princess Aline Penhallow of Cortana."