Chapter 41

Annabeth's POV
The whole arena watched Leo and Calypso's whole match. We all saw the crying and the pain in their eyes. We were thrown into shocked silence when they both ran out. Everyone say quietly for a second, then my favorite teacher, Mr. Brunner went after them.

The rest of the matches went on as planned, just a little quieter.

Every teenager was buzzing with gossip.

This gave me a chance to question Percy about his earlier statement.

"Calypso is your ex?"

He looked over at me apologetically.

"Yeah we dated for a while, but it seems like she's with Leo now."

Besides me Jason was bristling, being held back by Thalia and Piper.

"Let me go! I need to go after Leo!"

"No Jason... you can't help him in this situation."

"But- he looked upset! He's my best friend. She must have hurt him in some way."

"No Jason. This... this is a thing between them only. Do you remember last summer when Leo was so sad? This is why, I'm sure of it. You need to let them sort it out themselves. Besides... your match is starting soon."

"Your girlfriend's right Jas, you have to focus on your match." Thalia said.

"But-" Jason bowed his head in defeat. "You're right. I just hope he'll be okay. Here hold my glasses for me."

Piper tucked the golden frames into her jacket pocket.

"Go get em Sparky." She kissed his cheek.

Thalia rolled her eyes, but still said, "Go kick some butt little bro."

Jason tromped down the stairs with determination.

I turned back to Percy.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you guys break up?"

Percy's face turned dark.

"You don't have to tell me..."

"No it's okay. We were growing apart. I told you about my old stepdad. He was horrible. I had to help my mom. I couldn't see Calypso and make sure my mom was safe at the same time. I had to work a job too. To help support us."

"Oh... I'm sorry Percy."

I thought of my bruises that had faded, and the scars that were still there.

Her... this treatment was horrible, but at least we had food, and a roof. At least Bobby and Matthew were okay. They were safe from her. No matter how bad it was now... it could be worse. A lot worse.

I grabbed Percy's hand and gave him a small smile of support.

He seemed soothed by my touch.

Jason killed it out there, he was just a whirlwind of flashing metal.

He seemed to be putting all of his energy worrying about Leo into fighting.

There was this one move were he spun his opponent's blade around his, forcing his enemy to twist his wrist around and get hurt.

And the ending move was the coolest.

Jason had lost his sword.

It looked like he wouldn't win.