A Helping Hand

Drarry AU - Fifth Year

He'd done it, Harry had finally done it, what had taken his father, James, and his best friend, Sirius, years to perfect. Harry Potter was now an animagus. Admittedly, he was unregistered so he was, under all wizarding law, illegal. He also hadn't told anyone at all what he was doing, not Hermione because she would have told him it was wrong, he shouldn't do it, that he would be 'breaking about a thousand school rules' and not Ron because he would have wanted to join in and well, as much as Harry loved his best friend, this was something he wanted to do on his own.  The animal in which he would transform into had taken a lot of deliberating inside Harry's own head before he decided. A stag had been his first thought, it was his patronus and had been his dad's animagus form but a stag wandering the corridors of Hogwarts  wasn't exactly discrete. After this much consideration, Harry had decided on a hedgehog. It wasn't the smallest of beasts (he didn't want to be stood on accidentally by another student or an animal of some kind) but it was small enough that it would be easy for him to get out of the castle unseen and was kitted out with acute teeth and spines along his back, for defense if needed. 

The bed sagged under Harry's weight; it was around 11pm  and the last of the boys in his dormitory had just gone to sleep. Breathe in, breathe out. Harry would be lying if he said he wasn't nervous, he'd never attempted to get out of the castle in his animal form before (he had only ever tried it in the empty quidditch pitch after evening practice). Harry stood up, doing so slowly to ensure the bed didn't creak too much. Breathe in, breathe out. He concentrated, hard and his world began to spin. Breathe in, breathe out. His vision went blurry, he closed  his eyes, his thoughts cloudy, he fell. 

Harry opened his eyes slowly, moving to rub them however he was unable to do so, his arms were too short. He found himself closer to the ground than before and suddenly, Harry Potter felt very, very small, more figuratively than literally.  A snort escaped taking even him by surprise, causing him to shuffle back, his claws scraping against the wooden floor. Breathe in, breathe out. Then, Harry began to move, one small foot at a time until he reached the heavy door, which he managed to slowly nuzzle open with his nose. Taking one last look at his sleeping friends, the little hedgehog tumbled out the door. Voices curtailed the silence and Harry froze at the top of the stairs,  peering through the gaps between the barrier on the landing. Belatedly, the voices drifted up the opposite staircase and silence was free to reign once more, watching Harry's back. Quietly as he could, Harry, in his new form,  bounced down the stairs, coming to a halt at the bottom, right before a polished gold fireplace.  Curiosity getting the better of him, the boy looked into the reflective surface and he snorted again, his scar was still there! 
       After recovering from the shock of seeing his scar, the Gryffindor headed towards the painting, again managing to nudge it open with his small nose, leaving the Fat Lady in a state of peculiarity and confusion. Breathe in, breathe out.  

As an animagus, Harry could cover the castle much quicker, despite his short legs, as he did not have to worry about bumping into teachers or hiding himself in shadows or under his invisibility cloak. Matter of fact, he hadn't run into any teachers, well that was until he was nearly trod on by Professor Snape. Breathe in,  breathe out. Luckily, the head of Sytherin noticed the small mammal and leaped out the way, just in time, leaving Harry free to scurry off into the foyer that housed the large front doors. Breathing a sigh of relief, the bantam hedgehog ran as fast as his little legs would carry him  to the now enormous doors but Harry found himself stuck, the door was locked and he was far too small. He squeaked in annoyance. Breathe in, breathe out. Then he heard footsteps behind him and a presence,  more so on his level, and there, as he turned, was Albus Dumbledore crouched down. 
"What is wrong, my dear?" He asked sweetly, a twinkle in his eye. 
Harry squeaked again and turned back  to the door, putting his tiny paws up against it. 
"Ah why of course."
With that, Dumbledore waved his hand at the door which swung open and he began to walk away before calling back.
"Take care," He paused to look at the minuscule hedgehog. "Harry."
Quickly, hurrying through the door Harry tried to think how Dumbledore would know but then it came back to him, his scar

Once outside Harry could breathe more freely as the worry in his chest lightened. Deciding to head towards the Forbidden Forest, Harry, in his little animagus form, began to make his way down towards the Forest. 

It was a long trek, especially if your legs were only an inch, but eventually Harry arrived at the edge of the forest. His small chest constricted a little with fear at the oppressing darkness but he pressed forward none the less. Breathe in, breathe out.  A little snuffle alerted Harry to another hedgehog at his side and they greeted each other, the other kindly giving him a few insects for food, making him suddenly aware of his rumbling tummy. After wolfing down the insects, both hedgehogs parted ways and Harry traveled farther into the compressing depths of the Forbidden Forest.
         Before long, a thundering of hooves could be heard and the little animagus looked up alarmingly as a herd of centaurs raced towards him and he curled up into a ball to protect himself, hoping that he wouldn't get hurt. Breathe in, breathe out. The centaurs raced past but the last accidentally caught Harry with his hoof, sending him spinning off and he hit his head hard on a tree trunk. As his head pounded, he uncurled, looking down at his front left leg - it was cut and bleeding. Panicking, Harry tried to transform back into his human form but the blow to his head was slowly dimming all of his senses and he fell back to the floor, the pounding taking over and he closed his beady eyes. Breathe in - 

Only minutes later, Harry's senses began to clear and he suddenly realised he was being lifted into the air. Upon opening his eyes and blinking a few times to fully clear his vision he was faced with none other than Draco Malfoy.  The hedgehog's tiny eyes widened and he began to struggle to get down for he had no knowledge of how this infamous bully treated helpless small animals. Breathe in, breathe out. Draco began to stroke Harry's head, taking care not to knock his injured leg and started to talk in a soft, comforting voice.
"I'm not going to hurt you, I just want to help you."
Breathe in, breathe out. Harry began  to calm down, Draco seemed to be genuine so he settled in his cupped hands. All Harry remembered was Draco heading out the Forbidden Forest before he fell asleep.

As Harry gently blinked he saw himself lying in a box in the Slytherin Common Room with a fretting Draco sitting before him. When the hedgehog showed signs of stirring Draco leaped up, putting his hands together before leaning down to face his little companion. While this close, the Slytherin noticed the little scar that resided atop the animagus' head. He turned his back.
"Potter has that same scar." He said more to himself than actually to Harry but this seemed to be the Gryffindor's chance. 
As Draco had his back to him, Harry mustered up the energy to transform back, quietly stepping off the table that the box had been sat on.
"Yes, yes he does."
Draco jumped at the sudden voice and he spun around confused.
"Potter? You? You're a.... an animagus?"
Harry nodded and looked down at his injured arm.
"Hey, thanks for this and you know don't tell anyone about well, this." He gestured between them and then to himself,  looking up at Draco to see if he had understood - he had.
"Well, I best be going then, thanks again."
And with that, Harry left, leaving Draco stuck in confusion and a dwindling sense of embarrassment, Potter had seen him being kind but then he found himself not really caring; Potter wasn't all bad. 

--------- A/N---------

Hey guys, 

Just thought you should all know that this wonderfully adorable idea was suggested by Linxxyboy !!! I really hope  you like it!

Also, if I don't see you before, HAVE A LOVELY CHRISTMAS!!! I HOPE YOU GET ALL THE PRESENTS YOU ASKED FOR AND YOU HAVE A LOVELY DAY  WITH YOUR FAMILY AND IF Y'ALL ARE LUCKY YOU MIGHT GET A CHRISTMAS FIC!!

Anyways, as always, thank you and ily all

- Izzy xx