1.3

"What was that?" Sam asked, letting the door slam behind him. We'd run out through the back exit, just in case people came looking for us. The ground had stopped trembling, the unexpected start had come to an unexpected stop.

"Bremin is not on any fault lines." Andy mentioned, following closely behind me. We stood in the middle of the road, but it was a dead end that nobody ever drove into, so it didn't really matter. Jake was still a little absent, but this time it was for a different reason. He stared at his hands, but they were open now, no longer in fists.

"It was you, wasn't it?" Felix hissed, his demand thrown at Jake. The boy looked up, but his startled eyes quickly returned back to his hands.

"I couldn't help it." He said quietly, apparently ashamed at what he'd done. His confession puzzled me, shocked me into a state of silence. He noticed, as he turned to me with apologetic eyes.

"Woah... hang on." Sam mumbled, taking Jake's gaze away from me. I couldn't stop staring at him, and I had no idea why. "Since when could you make the ground shake?"

Jake looked away, suddenly sheepish. "Since we got back." He noted, his eyebrows furrowed as worry crossed his features. I sighed, but it went unnoticed due to Andy's gasp.

"Whenever I turn the tap on, the water goes crazy." He announced, waving his hands in the air as if he was trying to demonstrate the rapid movements. Sam clapped, pointing at the two boys while nodding his head vigorously. He could relate, clearly.

"I sneezed, and it made the washing line spin around." His words were at a high volume, as he was excited over this realisation.

"I can do things with my phone without even touching it, like switching the torch on and off." I informed them, shaking my head as I spoke. Sam grinned at my input, which made me scoff in disbelief. "Are you kidding me right now, Sam?" I asked him, trying to erase the smile from my face. He shook his own head, nudging me with a pointed elbow.

Felix was the only one who hadn't yet made any possible powers public, and when I looked at the expression on his face, it told me why. He looked genuinely scared, and his wide eyes kept darting from person to person. When they finally settled on me, he held my gaze. "Crossing universes may have given us elemental powers... somehow." He said, and his stuttering showed that he was a little unsure of himself. My mouth fell open at his confirmation, although I obviously already knew of this news.

"You're Fire, right?" Andy asked him, staring with raised eyebrows. "You must have a fire power." Felix offered us a small nod, but that was not particularly the answer we were all waiting for. He stepped forward, taking a peek around the corner. When he pulled back, he ushered us to walk with him as he began to tread backwards.

"I'll show you." He told us. "But not here, we need to get out of sight." Without question, we all followed him. His low voice seemed to intensify everything, like we were realising how extreme this was. We ran until we were out of town, officially away from any human disturbances. Sam had this strange idea that we were heroes, even though we'd done nothing to identify as one.

"Superheroes need superhero names." He mumbled, turning his head over his shoulder almost every second. I raised my eyebrows, then furrowed them. "What?" He asked me, clearly puzzled by my expression.

"Who said we're superheros?" I quipped, my gaze narrowing. He brought his hand up to his face, holding it there as if it was going to help him reply.

"You're no villain, Edith." He finally concluded, giving me a shake of his head. The hair poking out beneath his hat rattled, in the wind and because of the movement.