13 - Maggie Crowberry

All of them said that I had gone crazy. I might have done weird, crazy things that time, and I’m just so glad that I don’t remember.

But the anger I felt… it was different flavors in my mouth. Different flavors in your mouth is something that you don’t easily forget, trust me.

I ain’t able to remember anything during my so-called insanity because I was drifting, and I drifted to different places at once. It was weird, but I figured it’s better than remembering me doing crazy stuff.

Annabeth Chase was starting to virtually annoy me.

“What happened? You’ve gone mad, Maggie. What was it like? Do you remember anything?” she kept asking me, as if I haven’t gone through all that for the past few hours.

“I already told you everything, Blondie. Please, lay off me or I’ll go back to perpetual sleep and not come back,” I snapped. She pursed her lips to stop her silly mouth from asking any more questions.

“Really, seeing you crazy is unforgettable. I’ve never seen something like that my whole life,” Jason said, almost nostalgic.

“Well, I’m glad I helped complete your life,” I muttered back at him. Too much attention wasn’t helping me, that’s for sure.

It was Percy who grace-saved me from all the stupid interest being thrown at my face. “She thinks she got possessed, and I think otherwise. Hazel, can you help?”

Hazel nodded and turned to me, hands folded like it was some real interview. “What were you feeling that time, Maggie? Was there someone whispering in your ear telling you what to do or anything like that?”

I tried to recall for a moment, and then shook my head at her. “No, not really. It was just me. I did what I did, nobody in my ear calling the shots and stuff.”

She gulped, like the next question makes her nervous to say out loud, “Were you shown flashbacks of your life? I mean, like something bringing you back to the past? Did you ever have blackouts?”

I furrowed my eyebrows at her. “No. What do you mean?”

“I’m just asking if that, uhmm… ever happened to you,” she answered, still that nervous expression.

“No, not really,” I replied confused. “I don’t understand. What do you mean blackouts?”

“Hazel,” Percy told her, “Maybe we should… take up something else…”

She straightened up her seat and declared, “She’s not possessed. I’m sure of that. Only Gaea can do that and—”

“Gaea again?” I exclaimed impatiently. “Can somebody tell me who this Gaea person is?”

All faces turned as nervous as a failing report card.

“Come on, guys. I’m part of this club now. You shouldn’t hide anything from me. Really,” I clucked my tongue, “Are you careful not to think of Gaea while you’re talking to me so that I won’t know? Nice move. Unfortunately it won’t work.”

Only Annabeth showed interest in answering my question. Her mind whirred as she started to build up the things to tell me. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and turned to me.

I sighed at her, “Thank you Blondie. Thank you.”

Percy shot her an anxious look but she ignored it.

“Maggie, do you know about the titans? Has Chiron told you that?” she asked me.

I nodded a yes. “The titans are the gods’ ancestors. Kronos and Rhea.”