8 - Percy Jackson

It was already dinnertime when Clarisse La Rue’s chariot landed in Camp Half-Blood from Oklahoma to rescue two demigods.

“About time,” Percy Jackson muttered to himself as he walked to the yard where the chariot touched down.

He looked over the two people standing on the chariot, ready to jump down. A bunch of satyrs ran over to carry someone who looked like it was injured. His knees trembled.

“Maggie?” he called on nervously.

When he peered over the heads of the satyrs carrying, it wasn’t Maggie. It was a young satyr.

He panicked even more. Piper and Clarisse stepped out of the chariot. Piper’s eyes were red and bloated. Clarisse didn’t say a thing, and didn’t greet everyone with smug superiority, like she usually does.

“What happened?” Percy queried.

The two exchanged grim looks. “It’s not a rescue mission, it’s a trap. I think a lot of satyrs died over there already,” it was Clarisse who answered.

He looked at them back and forth, and peeked at the chariot. Maggie isn’t there.

“Where’s Maggie? Why isn’t she here?”

Clarisse shook her head slowly. Piper stifled a sob and buried her face in her hands.

“Oh no,” Percy whispered, “No. No, no, no, no…”

“Percy…” Clarisse started.

He kicked a rock away in desperation and yelled back, “Why? Why did you let this happen? Clarisse, you were with her! Piper! Piper! I trusted you! How could you do this?! Both of you!”

Piper didn’t stop weeping on her hands.

The others came running from the Big House. Annabeth appeared on his side, seeing him bellowing. “What happened? Where is Maggie?”

“Maggie told us to leave. She was the one who said we should leave while she distracts the Gegeines,” Clarisse explained, still grim, “We could all have died there if she didn’t sacrifice herself. I owe her my life, Percy.”

Percy didn’t answer. His eyes were just clamped shut until he finally said, “How many?”

“Huh?”

“How many Gegeines were there? If there were just one or two, Maggie could make it out alive,” he said with blind hope. “She would survive two Gegeines; she’s strong enough for that.”

“There were fifteen, Percy. Fifteen of them,” Piper choked out.