016

S t a c y

     "Hello?" Why was the room so dark? And empty?

     Trees grew up above me, grass and dirt on my feet now, moonlight and fog making me whip around to a noise. Shouting and heavy breathing. Voices all so framilar, another image came into veiw.

     At the top of a steep incline, someone came barreling through, crunching twigs, unknowing to the hill.

     Trying to make my way up, I too started to yell, "Watch out! Hey! Stop!"

    Like everything was put in slow motion, a girl tumbled down, her body rolling. Landing at the bottom with a light sob, she quickly got up despite the cuts and spots of blood. Running with her hand pressed against her elbow.

     "Stacy!" I knew who called, my head thrown upwards to see Will sliding down the hill now, ten times more graceful than the person before.

     Halfway down, Willams heels still dragging in the dirt, Zachary and Lizzie did the same, Parker taking a running start. I knew what this was. I knew immediately. They weren't calling for me right now. Of course they weren't, Zach ran straight through me.

     Bee slowly came down as the others chased after me. I decided I should follow, my feet barely hitting the ground. I was just wisked away with them. Watching myself in the distance, the desperate cries for me to stop sounded much more convincing from where I stood.

     "I'm sorry!" Zachary was hoarse, I never knew he could sprint so fast.

     I didn't want to hear it now, and even back then, I could spot the road glimmering against the moon. Knowing what was coming. My eyes didn't even close to blink.

     "Guys, go. Please. Go!" I tried to plead.

     Lizzie was pale, "She looks like she's stopping!"

     I was unheard, for hell's sake they couldn't even see me. I was going to watch my death. I would watch my friends reactions, and see myself.

     Like the road was lava, my friends stopped before the grey began. Zachary being the closest, hands stretched out in an attempt to be comforting. Standing in between him and me, I was on the yellow line. Watching the tears streak down my face.

     Somehow I remembered this, "Fuck you! You're a liar!" My past  self screamed.

    Zach winced, arms still up, "I was going to tell you! Stacy- Please, calm down- I- I love you so much."

     "If you truely loved me why would you move to California and become somebody else? You're going to meet so many new people, you're going to forget about me!" I was so selfish.

     He was crying too, "No. You know that isn't true. I'm sorry. Jesus we can talk about this later!"

      A semi was on the opposite side of the road, faster than the speed limit. Everyone twisted their heads to its noise. I'd forgotten about this part. Where I stepped forward on the slick pavement, hoping there was enough clearence.

     Parker started twords me, "Stacy that's not enough room watch out!"

     The person I used to be looked straight at me. Our eyes connecting as terror filled her completely. She wasn't staring at me.

     It passed right through the ghost of me and hit the girl straight  on. Bee and Lizzie let out curtailing screams. Terror striking Will as he silently wiped red gooey liquid off his face.

    Seemingly like everyone was struck in a different way. They looked like art projects of a kindergartener. Spots everywhere, my friends splattered with blood.

     "No." Was all Zach said, looking at his bloody arms and shaking.

     My own hand clamped over my mouth, the body wasn't me anymore. I was facedown, white striped shirt now maroon. Pools of the blood enough to drown someone. Mangled and disgusting, I knew that I didn't want to see my face.

     The truck driver had stopped without my notice, he wasn't young, and he wasn't old, "Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. Is she- oh- oh my god."

     Everyone watched as Will slumped on the road, sitting with his legs out. Hands smearing blood on his face again, letting out sobs loud enough to start Bee's wailing.

     His hair was hiding his face, I wanted to give him a hug. He never cried, so the loud chokes and constant short breaths hurt me more than the truck.

     Lizzie tried to help Bianca as they fell to the ground together, arm around her shoulder Liz stared at my body. Dead on. She was covered as well, sharing some of my blood with Bee.

     "You just fucking killed her! Call the police!" Parker screeched at the man.

     Catching the phone as the truck driver threw it at him in his shaking hands, the lovable Parker had to do the deed, "Please- help help. My friend just got hit by a semi. She's dead oh-"

      Why wasn't Zachary moving? Like a statue, he didn't even blink. No emotion. Nothing from him.

     The blackness turned to white, and I opened my eyes to the new world. Will opening the door to his truck, "Come on, we're home. Zach went inside. I'll see you tomorrow."

     Unbuckling myself, I grabbed the bag of things we bought from the mall and hopped out. Looking at him as I left. Finally understanding why he was so affected by my death.

     Whispering as he drove away, I watched the tires make imprints in the fresh snow, little flurries in my hair,  "Sorry."