07

S t a c y

     Will smiled graciously, "You like the school so far? I'm glad our last names are close. Locker meetings will be nice."

     I looked up from my scedule, "Yeah. But I'm not so sure about this place. I feel like everyone is staring at me."

     Hands where placed on my shoulders, "Why wouldn't they look at you? They're probably wondering who the awesome girl is that is sandwhiched between two rad guys."

     "Yep. We're the three musketeers now." Will's cheeks puffed up in his joy, moving to my left side as Zach went to my right.

     They linked arms with me and started to walk me down the hall. Much to my dispair, I felt my face get hot. Everyone was staring at us as they started to skip. I'd never been more embarrassed in my whole life.

     Reaching the classroom, they both let go of my arms and bowed, making me curtsey in a fit of giggles, "I can't believe you guys."

Memory 02

     Watching his car disappear down the road. I was left to my thoughts and his gross room. Without me there to heckle him, it looked like a war zone. My tidy freak showing, I decided to do five loads of his laundry. His sheets and blanket being one of the first things to the wash. It smelled like a bears den.

     I peered at my obituary again. Reading the showings and eulogy that they wrote. Setting the weathered paper down to search for more of my things. Finding a box in his closet after I peeled back a mountain of shirts.

     They where notes that where placed on my locker. Neatly in a folder, I read words from people I didn't even know. Grabbing a flyer for my vigil at the football feild. Of course I knew Zach had nothing to do with this. The handwriting being that of his mother, Donna.

     Pulling out a book I opened it to the large bulge, having a dried Peony falling to the floor. None of it seemed real, so of course, I couldn't be bothered to feel anything.

     His mom loved me. The daughter she never had. Her time with me consisted of baking and cooking for the boys. My own mother always at the library until seven at night. Donna's warm smile and comforting hugs seemed the most desirable at the moment.

     She invited me to shop, she picked out jewelry for me when she knew Zach couldn't. And I always had an advantage when he and I would bicker. She was like a therapist.

     Zachary told me she was in prison. But didn't want to share why. He just ignored my plea and told me not to leave the house before he drove off. I couldn't possibly picture that sweet woman in orange jail jumpsuits. She was most likely depressed. All she ever wanted was to love her boys. And when Zach needed her the most, she wasn't there.

     "Hello?" I dropped the book I was holding when I heard his voice, trying to be silent as I closed the closet door.

     The voice drew closer, and my anxiety overflowed, "Yo, Zach? I saw you in the window. I'm not playing hide and go seek."

     God fucking dammit Will.

     What would he do? Because I know full well that he'd probably make a beeline for the door. Or maybe he'd freeze. I just needed to be prepared for anything as my eyes pryed at the knob in the dark closet.

      Footsteps grinding my ears like nails on a chalkboard. I felt as if I was in a horror movie. Quietness in between the steps driving me absolutely bonkers. I hated the tension.

     "Zachary. You're so bad at this." He laughed, swinging open the door to blind me with light.

     I reached up and grabbed his shirt and pushed him in the closet with me. His face twisted into shock. I almost tripped over the death box that held the proof that I was, indeed, dead. And Will wasn't seeing a ghost.

     "Don't freak out." I ordered, smacking my hand over his mouth.

     He nodded, listening to me, "I don't know what happened, and neither does Zach. But I am alive, and breathing. If you so much as tell anyone, I'll be sent away and the government will probably kill you for knowing."

     My hand falling away, I waited for a response. Trying to figure out if his eyes where just glossy or if he was ready to cry.

     I gained my answer when he hugged me tighter than anyone has ever done. Short sobs coming out to hurt my heart as I wrapped my arms around him to complete the action.

     Being so tall, he buried his head into my shoulder, "What the actual fuck? Stacy. Holy shit."

    "I know-"

     He stopped me, "I missed you so much."