015

S t a c y

    "You can't be serious?" I asked, feet briming the edge of the rock, water flowing past my ankles.

     William shrugged, "Come on, we can all hold hands."

      I looked at Zachary, "Stace, we're rarely in the Upper Peninsula. Not to mention how cool jumping would be."

     The crashing sound made me shiver, we didn't even know how deep the water was, but the boys insisted, "I'm scared."

     With his warm smile, Will's slippery hand gripped mine, "It'll be just like flying Stacy. Isn't that great?"

     "You guys suck." I sighed, holding Zachary's hand too, peering at the edge of the water below, trees and foliage for miles.

     It rained all morning at our campsite. The dreary sky making the dripping green vibrant. My heart ran faster than the current.

     With something of a warning, we sprang up into the cool air. Although fast in motion, time stood still. I made sure our fingers were all intertwined. My legs kicking fiercely, we all screamed before the water engulfed us. Making me sink to the bottom of the spring, my feet touching the muck.

     The wind in my hair was now replaced with water, I opened my eyes and looked up, watching the boys pump to stay above the surface. I realized now that I was free of their hands.

    Grey sky tinted my vision in the little spring. I knew I needed to come up, the bottom being so quiet and in its own world. My feet forcefully kicked off the ground, shooting me out like a bullet.

    Catching my breath, the guys started to laugh, moving their legs and treading water, "You okay there Stacy?" Will bobbed above the water.

      I splashed his face, "Of course I am."

Happy Memory 09

      Will's truck felt weird.

     Staying outside a prison with Will felt strange as well. Zachary would be gone for an hour and a half, and I hadn't went outside for two weeks.

     His hair was flattened by a beanie, still wearing a grey hoodie although, the cold air reddening our cheeks, he drove  down highway 23. Ann Arbor in our veiw. Nobody knew me out here. This was so far off from being home.

     "I'm thinking we go to Briarwood Mall? I don't really know what we can do. I'm still confused about this." I wanted to know why he was angry.

     The yarn of my gloves where more interesting, "Any museums maybe?"

     Why didn't he have gloves, I wondred, watching the way he drove, "You honestly are acting like this is normal?"

     This made me reminisce when Zach gave me explicit detail of their fight in school, "Can you not? Be happy I'm here and not rotting in a grave Will."

     "But. I can't. This shouldn't be happening." I saw his sheild fall, he was beginning to become soft.

     "Fine. If you want me gone so bad fucking unlock my door so I can throw myself out. William. I have a second chance at life and all you want is my death." His expression hurt more than the truth of my words.

     He tapped his fingers, "It was misery when you died. I can't go through that again."

     I lay a hand on his shoulder, "You don't have to. Because as far as I'm concerned, I'm not leaving any time soon."

     "Were you aware you where dead? I swear, sometimes, it felt like you where here. Just like now. Except, I couldn't see you. I think that was the worst part." Nervous laugh and all, I was guilty.

     Shaking my head, I watched the snowy landscape slide by, "I can't remember anything form the four months I was gone. Although I had a dream about my funeral."

     I saw him shiver, "What was it like?"

     "You cried, my mom broke down, Zach's mom was on the floor, and the tie you wore was cute. The black one with tiny white dots? That was adorable." His grin was surpressed.

      "You think it was real?" Somehow I wanted to think about this question, although I knew the answer.

     "Probably. There were too many details for it to be just a figment of imagination."

     Forgetting how much I missed his smile, I leaned forward to study it more, "If I forgot to tell you already. I'm very sorry Will. I'm sorry you saw it happen, and I apologize for all that happened afterward. You don't deserve that."

     "I still look at the pictures I have of you. And the image of you, barely clinging to life, all tore up, in my hands flashes. It's too much sometimes." The signs on the highway told us we passed Ann Arbor a while ago.

     My feet were now better than his face, "Sorry. That's terrible. I'm so sorry."

     Flashing a goofy grin, he reached over and rustled my hair, "Apology accepted."

----------

Seven chapters left!