Give Love

December 2023, Faulkerson residence:

"Here, Mama." Thirdy says as he places a toy car in the box on the playroom floor beside M, who has been busy the whole morning picking out toys and books to donate.

"Are you sure you don't want this anymore, hon?" She asks their eldest son.

"I still want it, Mama but someone might need it more." Thirdy answers.

"Aaaw, Kuya... Come here." M calls her little boy to sit beside her on the floor. Thirdy does so and M hugs him. "You make me so proud, Kuya. Papa and I must have done something right to deserve the best Kuya anyone can ever ask." M sniffs and kisses her son's cheek while holding back her tears. "Should we finish filling the box then?"

Thirdy smiles. "Yes, Mama." Both he and M continue to pick out more toys to put in the box.

"Mama, Kuwa, what are you doing?" Charm asks as she enters the room.

"Hi sweetheart, Kuya and I are sorting toys to give away to the children in the orphanage that we're going to this weekend?"

Charm frowns and walks to the box, looking at the toys and books selected then takes a teddy bear and a stuffed dog.

"Charm! What are you doing? Put those back." Thirdy reprimands his sister who seem to be taking back her toys.

"It's okay, Kuya. Let me talk to Charm. Why don't you go to Sebs room and ask Nanay Pe for your little brother's least favorite story books. Let's give those away too. Maybe another baby will like them." M smiles.

"Okay, Mama. Charm be a good girl. Listen to Mama, okay?" The eldest Faulkerson kids tells his little sister.

"Yes, Kuwa." Charmaine sighs.

"Thank you, Kuya." M smiles before Thirdy turns and runs to the nursery.

"So, baby girl, why are you taking these?" M asks, pointing to the toys Charm took.

"Coz... This is my favorite bear, Mama." Charm pouts.

"I thought Mr. Brown is your favorite bear?" M smiles.

"He is. But this one is my favorite too." The little girl clutches the toy tighter.

"Sweetheart, how can this be your favorite? You've only played with him twice and has been sitting on that shelf untouched for months."

Charm does not answer but continues to pout and clutch the toy.

"Come here, baby." M calls her daughter, who sits on her lap. "I understand that you also really like this bear but you don't really need it anymore. Look at all the other toys you have. This room is filled with them, you barely even play with them and this Christmas, more will be coming."

Charm looks around the the playroom and scans through the shelves and boxes of toys all over the place aside from the multiple game consoles, iPads and laptops they play with.

"You see, Charm. You have so much here. Papa and I made sure you and Kuya and Seb get everything you need and want. You have parents who take care of you but those kids in the home that we're going to, don't have a Mama or a Papa. Although, they have the nuns to take care of them, they won't have enough to buy toys for everyone even if they want to."

Charm frowns as she considers what M just said. "Mama, why don't other kids have a Mama and Papa?"

M sighs. "There's a different reason for every kid but for some reason, they get separated from their parents permanently. Some parents don't have a choice, they become angels and have watch over their babies from heaven."

"Like Momsie?" Charm asks, remembering the story about her Papa's Mommy Rio.

"Yes, baby, like Momsie." M smiles. "Some parents, however, choose to leave their kids and go somewhere far away and never come back." She continues.

"But why would they do that? Why would they want to leave their babies?" Charm asks.

M holds her little girl closer, sensing the fear in her voice. "I honestly don't know, sweetheart. People are complicated. Some people make choices they will regret, choices we will never understand because we all value different things. Maybe they are forced to do it or maybe not. We can never be sure why they do the things they do."

Charm holds her head in one hand. "Mama, my head hurts. I don't understand."

M kisses their daughter's temple and rests her cheek on the little girl's head. "I guess you don't have to understand all of that right now, my love, but there is one thing you can be sure of, love, and it's that your Papa and I will never ever choose to leave you. We will do everything we can to take care and protect you all the time. You get that, right?"

"Yes, Mama." Charm smiles. "I love you, Mama."

M kisses her little girl's cheek. "Good. Very good. I love you, Charmaine Athena. Papa and I love you and your brothers very much."

To M's amazement, Charm stands up and places the toys in her arms in the donation box then picks more toys from the shelf to put in too.

"What are you doing, sweetheart?" M asks.

The little girl doesn't answer but responded with a question instead.

"Do you think this is enough toys for the kids, Mama? Shall we buy new ones too?"

M grins. "Papa is out with Popsie and Tito Dan right now to buy new toys, books and school stuff too, sweetheart."

Charm smiles. "That's good, Mama." She then sits on the floor beside M. "Mama, can you bake them some of your cookies and cupcakes too when we go there?"

M looks at her daughter curiously. "Ofcourse, baby, but why?"

Charm stares at the toys in the box thoughtfully. "Because Mama, they do not have parents to take care of them and Kuwa, Seb and I can only give them toys and books but maybe when they taste the food you make then they might also feel the love you put in when you make them for us."

M's eyes brim with tears as she stares at their little girl in awe. "Sweetheart... I... I don't know what to say."

"We are lucky to have a Mama and Papa, Titos, Titas, Nanay, Tatay and Popsie, Mama Ten and Nanay Pe who love us very much all the time maybe even for a day we can all share the love to all those kids too." The little girl explains. "Mama, why are you crying?"

M stifles a sob and wipes her tears. "I'm just so happy, my love. You've grown to be such an amazing little girl. How did that happen?"

"Because I have the best Mama and Papa in the world." Charm smiles at M and swipes her little hands over her Mom's damp eyes and cheeks. "Thank you, Mama. I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart." M smiles and wraps their daughter in a warm embrace.