Papa

June 2023, 5pm, Faulkerson Residence:

M is busy preparing dinner in the kitchen while waiting for the cake she put in the oven to be ready.

Seb is sleeping in his play pen in the dining area where M could still keep an eye on him.

Aside from, the guard, they have sent their house help home to celebrate this special day with their families, so M is specially busy tonight.

Charm curiously watches her Mom buzzing around in the kitchen while Thirdy volunteers to wash the fruits.

"Mama, why you cooking a yot?", C asks with her face cradled in her hands as she sits on a stool and leans on the kitchen counter.

"Because it's Father's Day, sweetheart, I'm making a special dinner for Papa."

"After these, Mama, can I help you with something else?" RT asks from the sink.

"Sure, honey, you can start grating the cheese after. Thank you. Oh, by the way, about your secret assignment with Charm?"

"Already, done, Mama. I also kept it where Papa won't see it."

"What can I do, Mama? I want to hewp yike Kuwa."

M smiles as she thinks of a task for her little girl. "Okay, baby girl, you can help decorate the cake when it's ready. For now, just sit beside Seb quietly and keep him company. Can you do that, Ate Charm?"

C beams and nods her head enthusiastically. "Can I sing him a song, Mama?"

"Sure, sweetie, just sing to him softly and don't tire yourself out, okay?"

"Okay, Mama." C says as she climbs down the stool with M's help.

After two hours, M and kids sit around the dining table waiting for R. It has already set for the special dinner an hour ago.

"Mama when is Papa coming home? I'm tiyed." C complains.

"Charm, quiet." RT whispers her reprimandingly, as he watches M frowning on the message she just received from R.

"But, Kuwa, I'm tiyed and I want to eat the cake." C whispers back and pouts.

"You just have to wait a little longer. Papa's not here yet."

M is snapped out of her thoughts with Seb's cooing. He is hungry. M picks him up, sits on the loveseat sofa in the corner of the dining room and nurses him.

After a few minutes of feeding and burping Seb, she sets the baby back down in the play pen.

M walks back to the dining table and sees Thirdy and Charm sleeping with their heads resting on their arms on the table with the dinner they prepared left untouched.

M is driven to tears, it's past seven and R shows no signs of coming home. She looks at the table, silently considering what to do next.

She sighs, wipes her tears away and starts putting the food away.
***
R rushes from the kitchen to his office. It's 8pm and he knows he already missed dinner and M not responding to his calls and texts is not a good sign at all.

He intended to clear this whole day to spend with his family, he even planned a day for them at the beach but an urgent situation at the restaurant they own, changed all of his plans.

The restaurant manager was rushed to the hospital due to severe gastritis and one of the chefs is on leave and is out of the country. The place was filled up with customers celebrating Father's Day. They are understaffed and overwhelmed by the demand. He had to step in and take over for the day.