Chapter 46 (For the first time)

Hey guys, before I start this chapter, I'd like to say that I have no experience with all this. I did a lot of research though, and even then, some things may be a bit off, but please know I'm trying, not perfect :). I used my common sense for some things too, however uncommon it may seem at times lol. Please bear with me and enjoy!!! Thanks.

The day had finally come for Kaylyn to see the baby. The doctors had advised her to give it some time despite her eagerness. She was recovering from surgery and the baby was still premature - meaning none was really fit enough to see the other, but boy Kaylyn was anxious as well as nervous. Matthew was at her side, waiting for the doctor to escort them to the NICU where baby Josiah was.

      "What if he doesn't like me?" Kaylyn asked Matthew who could not stop smiling.

He chuckled at her question. "Why wouldn't he?" he asked. "Everything will be fine," he reassured softly.

     "Sure?"

     "Positive."

Kaylyn smiled meekly before the nurse entered with a wheelchair leading the way. Kaylyn brows furrowed, wondering why she needed a wheelchair. She wasn't paralysed and she was able to walk just fine, and she planned on telling the woman that.

      "I'm perfectly capable of helping myself,"  she cut in before the woman had a chance to say anything.

She only smiled as she came nearer. "This is just basic procedure ma'am and I'm sure you'll need the assistance after the surgery you've had."

Kaylyn sighed as she glanced at the wheelchair, knowing that the woman's words were true, but she just didn't quite see herself in a wheelchair at her age.

        "OK, well as long as I'm able to see my baby, fine then." She announced, earning a smile from both Matthew and the nurse who seemed to be in her twenties.

Kaylyn eased herself up, with Matthew and the woman at her side ready to assist her. As soon as she swung her legs over the edge of the small bed, she instantly understood to reason for the wheelchair. She felt numb and achy in some places, not being able to resist the scowl that formed on her face.

      "Take it slow and easy," the nurse advised, taking Kaylyn by one arm, but it wasn't doing Kaylyn any good. It irritated her for feeling so damn useless.

Matthew, as if reading her mind, swept her into his arms and gently placed her in the chair. Kaylyn couldn't resist a smile after, neither could the nurse.

       "Well, thank you."

      "Don't mention it," Matthew smiled as they moved towards the room the baby was in.

#

In a room filled with crying babies, the doctor directed them towards one particular baby who was nestled in a glass container at the far end. Before they could enter though, Kaylyn had to sanitize her hands thoroughly so that the baby could not pick up any germs with contact.

Kaylyn slowly stood and as soon as she saw her bundle of joy, she forgot about the dull ache below her stomach, because all that mattered was what her eyes were giving her the privilege of seeing. Tears welled in her eyes instantaneously and with a blink, they fell, reminding Kaylyn that tears didn't have to be sad to fall.

       As she feasted her eyes on the tiny little baby, a mixture of overwhelming emotions consumed her. Despite his tiny little body that seemed too small for the equipment attached to him and the heaving of his small chest, Kaylyn was grateful he was alive, because when the possibility of death had been like a dark cloud over their heads a few days ago, life was greatly appreciated now, regardless of how small it seemed.

     "He's so small," she whispered, eyes never leaving the baby.

Matthew smiled, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Imagine the balls he will be hitting in a few years. This one's a fighter." Matthew expelled proudly and of course when he'd first seen the baby, he had thought the same thing, but Kaylyn needed the hope.

She smiled, placing a gentle hand on his small chest, feeling the beating of his small heart. She then used her fingers to trail along the soft scanty hair that sprouted up from his small head. He stirred and Kaylyn softly gasped from the unexpectedness of it.

His eyes then slowly fluttered open and Kaylyn was befuddled by the beauty of it. It seemed liked a dark green with the whitest sclera but before Kaylyn could confirm the colour, it closed again.

         "When can I get to hold him?" Kaylyn asked, brushing away the tears from her face.

The nurse, who was close by, offered her a reply. "Hopefully in a few days when he is strong enough to be taken out of here," he informed. "Some babies take a longer time but he is responding well to his treatments."

Kaylyn nodded contentedly before she managed a shaky smile. She had never thought she'd have to wait to see her baby but then again, at one point she didn't think she'd hold him at all. She leaned into Matthew's chest and he held her there, placing a kiss on her forehead as they watched their child like he was treasure.

#

Seeing that they could not see the baby for a few days, Sapphire and the others went home. The Mayhew's were at Matthew's caring for Sapphire while Matthew was at the hospital. He only came home to shower and check on Sapphire before he'd leave again for the hospital before Kaylyn would wake up and find that he wasn't by her side.

      "When are they coming home grandma?" Sapphire asked one morning as Rachel was getting her ready for school.

       "I'm not sure honey. They both need time to get well before they can come home," Rachel informed.

       "But dad isn't sick, why can't he stay here?" Sapphire questioned.

Rachel sighed with a smile. "Kaylyn and the baby needs your father's support honey."

      "Oh," came the flat reply as she sadly hung her head.

Rachel knew what might've caused Sapphire's sadness. She was feeling jealous and left out at the sudden lack of attention she received.

       "Honey, aren't you happy to be a big sister?" Rachel asked.

       "I don't know anymore," she pouted.

Rachel knelt before her, holding her small hands in hers.

       "Honey, think of how wonderful it'll be. You'll be in charge of someone," Rachel raised a brow. "When he's mad at Kaylyn or Matthew, he'll run to you for support. He'll look up to you and he'll love you, you just see," she winked before continuing. "He'll depend on you to love and –"

        "But I don't want to love him if he takes Kaylyn and daddy from me," Sapphire interjected sharply.

        "He won't take them from you sweetheart. He's just not well and so he'll need all the love and care he can get for now."

Sapphire was silent for a while. "OK, I'll love him then but I don't know if I can protect him yet grandma. I mean, I'm just five!" she exclaimed with a giggle.

Rachel laughed heartily, while she shook her head.

_____

Continue reading people!
Four updates in a row! If you see the epilogue after this chapter, then something went wrong. Two more chapters are before the epilogue.
Happy holidays!!!