Chapter 39 (Peace of mind)

Revenge sometimes blurred the sense of reasoning; Matthew told himself that Catherine had met her downfall without having to face his wrath, but upon further contemplation he realized that nothing he could have done, would ever meet the cruelty of her addiction.

       So Matthew bit his lips, trying to fight back the part in his brain that told him that she deserved every moment of her self-torture. Maybe she did deserve it, but who is he to judge?

Wiping his hand across his mouth, Matthew pointed towards her room. "Go pack yourself a bag with clothes," he ground out between tightly clenched teeth.

Catherine looked at him, confused. "Wh-what?" she choked out brokenly.

     "You are going to pack yourself a bag and then I'm going to drive you to a rehabilitation centre. You're gonna sign yourself in and get your f*cking self cleaned," the words came out firmly as he was forcing himself to get them out.

Catherine's eyes widened as she blindly took a step away from him. "I- I can't," she stuttered, eyes wildly searching.

Matthew inhaled a deep breath and watched her with fiercely narrowed eyes. She moved to one corner on the room, leaning against the wall as she bit her nails and shook her legs.

Her eyes flashed to Matthew. "You- you really care about me that much Matthew?" she asked softly with a mirthful gleam in her red rimmed eyes. "After everything I've done?"

     "I'm doing this for my own peace of mind Catherine," he bit out abruptly. "Now go."

She managed a weak and wavering smile as the shimmer of sadness smarted her eyes again. She nodded and timidly walked from the room.

Matthew immediately slumped to the old garbage filled sofa. He brought his palms to his forehead, wandering into deep thought as he contemplated on his choices. When did he become such a person wanting to help his enemy? Matthew thought in dismay. When had he changed? What changed him?

The questions created a puzzle in his thoughts and he found that he wasn't equipped with the answers to solve them.

Catherine emerged a few minutes later with a small suitcase lagging behind. She swallowed visibly, while using her free hand to hug her shoulder. Matthew released one last sigh and shook his head pitifully before he moved towards the door.

#

Parking outside the huge rehabilitation centre, they both stared at the building for a few moments, Catherine especially, who looked lost to the world.

Turning to Matthew, she moistened her cracked lips and cleared her throat. "Thank you," she announced barely audible.

Matthew stiffly nodded and watched as she opened the door to go outside. "And Matthew..." she paused and spun around to look at him. "I'm really sorry," she sniffed as a tear made a trail down her ashen skin.

She then got out, reaching for her suitcase, which was in the back. She pulled it out with much effort and flashed Matthew one last weak smile before she strolled off. Matthew watched as she entered the building before he drove off.

#

      "This one looks nice. Do you like this one?" Kaylyn asked Sapphire excitedly. They were both lying on kaylyn's bed, with legs in the air, while they strolled through a baby magazine.

Sapphire twisted her mouth and expelled a "hmm", as she patted her small finger against her chin in deep thought.

Kaylyn stifled the laugh that bubbled up from her chest. "Kinda looks too old," she disapproved. "How about this one?" she squealed excitedly, pointing at a white crib.