Chapter 31 (What happened?)

Patrick had worked hard to develop the courage to really visit his daughter. He wasn't sure what he'd say when he saw her or what would happen, but his heart was the legs that led him to Matthew's place. He hesitated at the door for a while before he rang the doorbell, fidgeting nervously with his fingers. He waited for less than a minute before he saw the door open.

Mayhew stood before him, sporting a deep scowl. "What are you doing here, and what the hell do you want?" he sneered bitterly and Patrick swallowed hard under the intensity of his gaze.

      "I came to see Kaylyn," he provided firmly.

Matthew huffed out a mirthless laugh. "You people really have some nerve, don't you?" he asked in disbelief.

    "Matthew please. I'm not here to cause trouble," he told him.

      "Kaylyn doesn't want to see you. She has been through enough," he grounded out between tightly clenched teeth.

Patrick released a defeated sigh, knowing that he was right, but still he wanted to make amends before it was too late.

         "Please. I just want to talk to my daughter," he pleaded gently and Matthew rose a brow at the soft tone in the man's voice. He had known the Fisher's professionally for quite some time in his business life and in all those years he had never taken Patrick Fisher for a frail man, but now he looked like the epitome of frail. His face carried moonlight paleness and his eyes were in a hole with hair Matthew thought looked too thin.

He could see the desperation in the old man's features as his eyes held an undeniable plea that would make the devil himself, feel sorry for him.

Matthew shifted to one side of the door, allowing him entrance. The smile that graced Patrick's face was one of pure gratefulness. As he entered he immediately moved to sit on the sofa.

      "Can you go get her for me please?" he asked a bit shakily.

Matthew's brows furrowed as he watched the old man rest his elbows to his knees, placing his palms on his forehead. Without saying another word to him, Matthew strolled off to find Kaylyn.

He paused at her room door, a bit curious about the silence that was in her room. The door was closed but he could hear no shuffling or any movements. He immediately knocked on her door, placing his ear to the door to hear something.

When Matthew heard nothing, he feared the worst as his heart began to plummet in his chest. He feared she could be lying unconscious in the room or bleeding out or something. Without further hesitation Matthew burst open the door, even though it was not closed.

He entered with a stumble, immediately pausing when his eyes began to feast on the object in the bed. Kaylyn laid there, curled up in a little bundle, with her red hair, creating a golden halo around her head. Matthew moved closer as he assessed her with intent curiosity. He noticed that she was shirtless and that the only thing covering her top was a bra that only perked up her firm breasts, and oh did he remember their firmness. Matthew shook his head almost immediately, mentally scolding himself for the direction in which his thoughts had decided to take him.

He still couldn't quite resist looking at her little baby bump. Matthew smiled, taking great satisfaction in the fact that he was parent to the life inside Kaylyn. He wanted to touch it, he really wanted to, but instead he smiled, took a blanket and covered her with it.

He watched as she snuggled in its warmness and he laughed lightly, seeing how really beautiful the woman was without the weight of the world on her shoulders. Instinctively, he bent over and placed a kiss on her forehead before he left the room.