Epilogue

The sky drizzled in sorrow. Very few people gathered around the tiny hole, that held a black coffin, that hid the damaged child, who had been through so much, all by herself. I watched her mother stare numbly down at the bottom of the hole, clinging onto her husband. Then there was her father, he held the little boy Wyatt in one arm, and Marie in the other. The little child didn't know what was going on. But I could see the years of ware have taken its toll on them all. Such a single death of a girl who thought she meant nothing. But here we were. The preacher spoke gently about her existence. Every word a lie. Would he dare mention the years of abuse brought upon her family. Would he dare reveal the truth?
No, because all he spoke of was pure lies.

     As the service began to close, people left, I stood there above her. Her rotting corpse, probably still as beautiful as she was in life. I pulled a small paper from my pocket, opening it I looked down, and began reading aloud..

          Dear Anna,
I am sorry for everything. I didn't know...I want you to know that I love you. I wish I had done something. The day you came to my house, I should have said something. But I didn't. I'm a disgrace. I betrayed you. I could have helped you. I should have. But I didn't know you were already to far gone.
     In other words, Anna, I want you to know that I will always love you. You will always be my first love. And most likely my last. I will continue to live. I will live for you.
                               Love,
                                     Mattie

I dropped the letter, along with the photograph that held my memory of her. With a single tear, I backed away, and watched as they buried her remains. They buried her beneath all of the lies of who she was, and why she was. This was her goodbye. This was her final goodbye. And this...for me, is just the very beginning.

Anna N. Roberts

December 12, 1997-November 16, 2014
"Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us everyday"