𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER NINETEEN | SHE'S COME UNDONE

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

AFTER EVELYN BROKE ELENA'S NECK AT THE PROM, THEY TOOK HER BACK TO THE SALVATORE HOUSE. They wasted absolutely no time pumping her body full of vervain and then they dumped her body in a safe— instead of the usual basement cell. Evelyn walked down the stairs with Stefan where Damon was still attempting to get into Elena's head to trigger any sort of emotion.

"You've still got her locked in the safe?" The youngest Salvatore raised an eyebrow to his older brother. Damon was stood against the safe with one hand pressed against it, while he had his eyes clamped shut.

"Haven't you been in her head for like an hour?" Evelyn glanced at Damon just as he raised his finger in the air. "Still nothing?"

"How you doing in there?" Damon raised his voice as he opened the door to the safe and revealed a worse-for-wear looking Elena Gilbert.

"Upside-daisy." Evelyn stepped forward and yanked Elena's weak body from the safe and out onto the ground. She kneeled down in front of Elena, who just looked back at her emotionlessly. "You ready to turn your humanity back on, yet?"

"Go to hell." Elena spat back, viciously. Despite being painfully weak due to the vervain, Elena still managed to threaten them.

"Okay, back you go." Damon smiled, then he pulled the Gilbert vampire back into the safe and locked the door. "We can do this the nice way or we can do it the other way. But either way, we're not stopping until you turn your humanity switch back on. So, I'm gonna let you think about that and I'm gonna for you in a couple of hours or in a couple of years because all we have is time."

Stefan and Evelyn headed back upstairs, while Damon took himself off for an obligatory drink— he was frustrated by the lack of improvement where Elena was concerned. As the two vampires headed back into the parlor, Caroline folded her arms across her chest and raised an eyebrow toward them.

"Where is she? I wanna see her." The blonde immediately asked as she glanced around the parlor.

Stefan rolled his eyes as he and Evelyn followed Caroline around, who was clearly desperate to find her friend. "We're not letting anyone see her, that's the whole point: isolation leads to misery, leads to emotion."

"She's been here for days. She hasn't improved at all?"

"No, Care, she hasn't. Look, Elena doesn't want to improve. She has absolutely nothing to come back to." Evelyn tilted her head sympathetically. "I mean, every family that she's got is dead. She's attacked her friends. Killed people."

A short sigh left Caroline's lips. She knew Evelyn had made a valid point. "But, you said that you knew how to help her."

"I did say that. We are." Stefan furrowed his brows.