chapter 10

reader pov

a week or so of phone tag before we were finally able to get together. it was about six or so on a friday night. he had some classes while i had a few meetings. we planned on bowling, grabbing a bite to eat, the maybe a late movie. it was the first date so i dont know for sure if this is enough or too much to do for one night. guess we will see. i made my way over to the front desk and got my shoes. i looked around, once again spotting him by himself in a far off corner. once again, his nose was buried in his phone. i made my way over to him. "you do know that you are entirely unapproachable, right?" i said as i took a seat next to him. i started changing my shoes. "well if i was approachable, people would try and talk to me," he said as he put his phone up. "that's how you make friends," i deadpanned. i started setting up our match. "i have to ease society on myself, nate. i cant just dive into a crowd head first," he said. i chuckled. we started the game.

"how can you say you like bowling when you cant even roll the ball?" i said. "i like the idea, nate. i said nothing about knowing how to play," he muttered. i put up the guard rails on the alley before walking over to him. "the general idea is to roll the ball down the alley, aiming to knock the pins down," i put my hand on his and guided his fingers in the holes. he moved to lift it, struggling to pull it off the rail. "just pick a lighter one, law," i said. it was interesting to watch him look through the balls before picking one up. he walked over to the alley. squatted a little, showing how tight those jeans were. he rolled it down the alley with both hands. he did a little cheer when he knocked em all down. "how was that?" he seemed really proud. "eh....it was alright. nothing on my bowling skills," i said, taking a ball with one hand. a short running start and i rolled it down, knocking them all down.....again. i have an uncanny talent for this game. "can you teach me how to do it like that?" he asked. "like what?" i asked. "the thing, when you kicked the foot out," he said. "oh....that. well its super easy," i walked over to him and put the ball in his hands. "the key is holding it with one hand and rolling with a head start. basically, you do a little jog and kick the foot out as you toss the ball down the alley," i said. "like....this?" he lifted the leg out the way and held the ball up with his hand back. he shook a little. i grabbed his waist before he fell over, earning a low grunt. "you dont have to lift it up that high but yeah. that's pretty much what it is. try it out," i backed away. he stood up straight and took in a deep breath. a running start and he tossed the ball just like i had. again, he knocked the pins down. "perfect!" i cheered right along with him.

"that was a close game," he said as we finally arrived at the restaurant. we both drove. his car actually was pretty nice. "close? i beat you by 50 points. how is that close?" i asked as we headed inside the restaurant. it wasn't fancy or anything. a nice mom and pop place serving good food from what im told. we were seated and handed a menu. "ill have a hamburger with French fries and a medium soda," law told the waiter. she looked at me. "ill have what he is having," i said. she nodded before walking away. "i know you probably arent used to this but the food here: under ten dollars," he said, a small smile crossing his features. "you really think ive never had a hamburger before? there was a time when i wasn't loaded," i said. he chuckled.

after a wonderfully relaxing dinner, it was time for the movie. we chatted for a long while about what we wanted to see. we settled on (random action movie). i bought the tickets and got us some snacks. we headed inside. i had never known someone who could change so drastically. he comes off as standoffish. a loner. hell, he could even be seen as mean. he was sitting right next to me and seemed as excited as ever. he wasn't yelling but he was definitely into the movie.

"that was a good movie," he said as we headed out. "yeah it was pretty good. wish the main character were a little smarter but it no biggie. he got the girl in the end," i shrugged. "yeah....well, i had a great time," he said as we got to our cars. we stood together right between them. "that was probably the best first date ive ever had," i grinned. "it was only the second," he said. "exactly," we shared a laugh. "so...will there be a second date?" he asked, the worry evident in his eyes. "of course," i said. he looked away with a light blush. he started walking away but i grabbed his hand. i used his momentum to pull him back, resting one hand around his waist to stop him from falling. then....i pressed my lips against his. he was surprised but kissed me back. his free hand moved, resting around my neck. i pulled us close, pressing our chests together.