fake marriage

Haytham

I hadn't seen her for a whole week ever since she walked out of me at the wedding. She didn't come to work and when asked around, I was told she was on leave. Ariana had gotten sick and Jem talked her into going back home. She insisted on staying. Things were getting rough. Two American journalists were found dead at their hotel room. There was a lot of looting. Alexis, who got scared, flew back home. Ariana had gotten too attached to one of the victims of the invasion. A small girl called Hawra. She insisted that she wanted to help the kid get better medication.

Everyone feared for his life. Terrorist had started rising in the area. Small kids were being recruited into some weird groups.

I wanted to see Aaliyah really bad. I was missing her big time.

"We have to go home." Jem said as he paced up and down at the lobby. "This place isn't safe anymore."

I searched for an argument but found none. What do I have to stay here for?
The girl I had come all the way here for was married and already hated me. I might as well pack up and go back home.

"I will go talk to Ariana." Jem said and walked away. I was stressed out and there was a lump in my throat. The pain I felt was too much. I needed to walk it off. I knew they would complain that it wasn't safe but I knew I would be safe. After all I am an Arab.
--------_-----------_-----------_----------_-------_------

I walked alone in the streets. There was a little girl playing with a doll outside a flat and some teens were playing football. They looked so innocent and peaceful. It was sad looking at them. I was almost sure they had all lost a close relative or a friend to those heartless people ; all in the name of bringing peace to a country.

I sighed when I reached Aaliyah's old home. It looked lonely and deserted. I walked into what was left of it and I felt that familiar lump in my throat. It was all too sad. When did you get like this? I scolded myself. You have lost your strength.

I walked in to what use to be my room for that one week I spent there; Aaliyah's room. There was nothing there. The door was broken at it's hinges and the roof was not there.

Aaliyah, she was all I was thinking of lately. It was now clear to me that I loved her.  I couldn't believe I would never have her. She belonged to Tamim, her husband and I had no place in her heart. I came all the way here for nothing. People sure do find love in weird places. Who knew I would fall in love in a war torn land, miles and miles away from home?

Just as I was about to leave, I heard a movement at what used to be the kitchen. I immediately ran there to check what was there. I saw an old man with grey hair and unkempt beard. He stand straight and looked at me with questioning eyes. He looked beat and tired but his eyes seemed filled with life.

"Who are you?" We both asked at the same time; he spoke in Arabic while I asked in English.

Aaliyah

I had my stuff packed and ready to leave. I wasn't going to be a nuisance in Tamim's life anymore. Tamim sat at the edge of my bed as I finished packing.

"You know you don't have to do this. You can always stay here." He said and his voice showed no emotions at all. I smiled at him faintly.

"I want to do this. Now you can get married and start your own family." I said softly.

"You are my family." He said with a clenched jaws.

"You know I am not. Our marriage was just a sham and you know it too." I said even though I didn't want to push it.

"Then marry me." He got up and took my hand into his. "For real this time."

Oh Allah! Why is he making it harder than it is?

"Charity for marriage?" I shook my head. "No way. You will find yourself a better girl that deserves you."

"Who could ever be better than you , Aaliyah?" He gave my hand a slight squeeze. I have never seen him this open before.

"We both know we don't love each other so why should we complicate our lives." He lowered his gaze from my eyes. I squeezed his hand gently and forced him to look at me. "We faked this marriage in order to be allowed to adopt baby Yazid. Now that he is gone I don't see why we should stick together." I said and my heart hurt as my stomach churned at the mention of his name.

Oh how I miss my little baby!

"Ok then. You may leave but you have to promise to keep in touch." I nodded and  tears fell from my eyes. "Be a good girl and try to stay out of trouble. It is a dangerous world out there."

I chuckled. Is he seriously giving me this pep talk? I had spent months roaming in these same streets a year ago. This streets made me what I am.

"Okay. I promise." I left him with my new address and left. My fake marriage life with Tamim was over.