it has reached us

We heard about the war, we had watched it on the news but none of us expected it to reach our town. That night when the first bomb exploded a few yards from my home, Mama made us hide in the basement. Yazid refused to join us. He insisted that he was not a coward and would not hide like a girl. Mama had a hard time talking him into hiding. He was only 17 years old and they wouldn't spare him, teenagers were exactly what they were looking for. My father was away for some job in the countryside, he would have probably refused to hide just like Yazid.

Mama finally gave up after trying for more than an hour to convince him. She could not stop crying as we locked ourselves in the basement.

"It has reached us mother," he had said to Mama, "I am not going to hide or run away. If I do that i would die a coward."

Those were the most sensible words i have ever had Yazid say and the last words he ever said to Mama. They did not bomb down our house but they shot him, six times, seven i am not sure but i am dead sure that they killed him.

Since that night there was a curfew that lasted two weeks. No one could go out because they would shot you right between the eyes if you dared. So you could imagine we had almost nothing to eat. It was hard but we knew it could get harder, it would get harder.

My father never made it back home. Only God knows what has happened to him. The invaders cut our telephone lines, the electricity and water. They left us with nothing, to rot and starve.