In darkness

Haytham.
I didn't want to talk to Ariana but I realised she looked troubled. She had been drinking too much and she seemed distant. Jem tried talking to her but she wouldn't talk.

I knocked at her room but she refused to let me in. I didn't want her to think I was being sweet so I decided to leave. Unfortunately, she changed her mind and allowed me to enter.

"What do you want?" She had a bottle of beer.

"You to stop drinking." I grabbed the bottle and threw it in the bin. "Alcohol can't solve your problems."

"Actually," she started and took out another bottle. "It does."

"Really! How?"

"It keeps me somber and helps me to forget."

"Alcohol keeps you somber?" I asked astonished. "That sounds interesting."

"Yeah whatever!" She suddenly sounded like she used to when we were in highschool. "Just leave me alone."

"Ariana, I need you to stop doing this to yourself. If it is too much for you to handle then take an airplane back home. Besides, you -"

"No one tells me what to do. Not even you Heartie."

At first I thought I imagined it. She had called me Heartie. That is what she used to call me when we were a thing.

"Why didn't you apologize?" She asked as she drank straight from the bottle. I stared at her confused.

"Answer me Heartie." She slowly put the bottle down and pulled me. She showed me a chair and I sat down regretting ever walking into her room. "That is all you had to do then you and I would still be together. Highschool sweethearts."

I stared at her not knowing what to do or say.

"No one has ever made me as happy as you did. Unlike all the guys I dated, you were the only one who didn't want to get into my pants. You are the only one who respected me. Couldn't you just tell me why you left me. Wasn't I good enough for you? Or was it because you are a Muslim and I am not? If that is the case then take me back. Take me back and I will be a Muslim. I will convert because of you. I will -"

"Ariana please." I tried to talk but she put her finger on my lips. She then slipped her hand on my neck and stared at me. All I wanted to do was disappear.

*****†******†*******†*******†*****
Aaliyah
The week seemed very long and I was almost sure Haytham was avoiding me. I actually said hello to him and he totally ignored me. A friend of his told me he was having a rough week and I should understand. Tamim was busy at the hospital and he was also organising his sister's wedding. I helped them out when I could. I even managed to take his sister shopping.

That evening I had to talk to Haytham since Tamim asked me to give him the invitation letter to his sister's wedding.
I went to his room but he wasn't in. I asked Jem, his friend, where he was but he didn't know. I gave him the card and asked him to give Haytham. I was about to leave for home when I remembered a lady had asked me to bring her painkillers for she had a headache.

I knocked at the door but no one answered so I used my card to open it. The room was unusually dark. At first I thought no one was inside but I heard sounds. I was able to make out two figures. The lady who asked for the painkillers and a man's. I immediately wanted to disappear unnoticed. Then I heard his voice.

"Ariana please." I was sure it was him. What was he doing here? With this woman in darkness?

I saw the lady touching him and he didn't move. I couldn't believe it. I was suddenly angry, but why? She then pulled him and he hugged her. Haytham hugged that lady and I stood there watching them.

There was a painful lump in my throat. I placed the medicine soundlessly at the drawer next to the door and walked out.
I felt hurt and betrayed. Why would I feel that? He was just a friend.

I took a cab home and i couldn't stop thinking about him and that lady.