XVIII

Y/N

How can my mom compare Michael to my deceased father? He and Michael are two completely different people

How can my mom compare Michael to my deceased father? He and Michael are two completely different people. Then compare me to her? Yeah, no. "How so, mom? Weren't you and daddy high school sweethearts?" Mom sighed, sitting down near the kitchen table. "Have a seat." "I have somewhere to be right now. Can this wait?" I asked, trying to walk away.

"Y/N... you see your boyfriend practically every day. I hardly ever see you. Just sit down. Please... It's a shame that a mother must beg for her only child to come and talk to her. Do I have to make appointments just to see you?" she pleaded.

I looked at her, side eyed. "Ok.. let's talk. Let's talk about the fact you don't act like a mother. Let's talk about how we don't have a conversation because I can't stand to even look at you. Let's talk about ever since daddy died.. you've been a total bitch to me." "Y/N, watch your mouth. I'm still your mother." "THEN ACT LIKE IT!" I yelled. Mom sat still like she has nothing else to do. "For the past six months.... SIX MONTHS... you've been moping around... not giving a damn about what you look like. You don't cook. You don't clean. I've been doing your slack. Though... I'm the child. You were all mother of the year when daddy was alive. Now... you're a piece of trash."

"DO YOU THINK THIS IS EASY? DO YOU THINK IT'S EASY FOR ME TO ACCEPT THAT YOUR FATHER... MY HUSBAND... THE LOVE OF MY LIFE... IS DEAD? I HAVE NOTHING, Y/N! NOTHING!" "SO, I'M NOTHING TO YOU?" Tears streamed down both our faces as we yelled at each other. "You know I don't mean that. You are my baby. I will always love you. Y/N... what your father and I had... was magical. It's not the same when one half of the magic dies off." she explained. She's not answering my question. "You didn't answer my question." I howled.

"That's because you wouldn't let me explain. And I am getting tired of you disrespecting me in my house. You want to be with your boyfriend so much, why do you ask him and his mama if you could stay with them? Since you're too concerned about your date with him tonight. But, no matter what. I will always be your mother. You will treat me respect... in my house... or else get the fuck out. Now, do you want the answer or not? As a matter of fact, I don't think you deserve my answer. So, go get ready.... GO!"

Well, momma got the nerve. I stared at her, surprised. Now that's the mother I was looking for. I feel bad. Sigh. "Ok, I'm sor-" "NO! YOU ALWAYS SAY SORRY... BUT DON'T MEAN IT! I'M DONE, Y/N!" she said. Before I could say anything, mom got up. She's always running away. That's why I don't run behind her. I don't have time to deal with her issues. I have my own issues to deal with. But... she is my mother. I wouldn't be here without her.

Time for us to make up. At least for daddy.

I knocked on her door. I heard her sniffing, blowing her nose. Slowly opening the door, I stepped in. Nothing but dead silence. I sat across the bed, facing her. Her back is turned. "Mommy?" "Oh..." she scoffed. "The last time you called me 'mommy' was if you need something." "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for my attitude. Disrespecting you. Calling you out of your name. I understand why you're feeling the way you are. It's because of daddy not being here. I know daddy was your everything. He was my everything, too. I miss him. A lot. If there's a way to bring him back, I would do anything and everything to have him back." I choked. Mom faced me with puffy eyes. She reached out her arms for me to come in. For the past five minutes, we cried while embracing. "I love you, Y/N. I just want you to be happy. Find the same love your dad and I had." "Can you tell me why you don't like Alex?" I asked. She needs to clear the air. "And that's why I wanted to talk to you in the kitchen. I wanted to tell you a story of mine." she said. I agreed by laying back on the bed.

"Before I was with your father, I had a boyfriend. His name was Rick. Rick, James and I were close just like who you, Alex and Michael used to be." "Déjà vu... only it's my life." I laughed. Mom giggled along with me. This is the first time in months we'd laugh together. "Basically. So... I found out that Rick liked me. And I liked him back. So, we gave us a try. During that time, I was still friends with your father, James. But, never knew he was in love with me...." Well, damn. This is my life. "Where are you going with this, mom?" I asked, getting a little impatient. "One day... I found out that he cheated on me with my girlfriend, Niecy." "Oh, wow. Glad he's not my daddy." I said, disgusted. "He would've been. But, if your father didn't tell me... I..." she paused. I noticed her hands were shaking. "What?" "I would've been infected with HIV." she answered.

Mouth opened slightly as I heard my mom say the H word. HIV? "H-how? Did your girlfriend get infected?" I questioned. Mom nodded her head. "She did... on that day I found out, I didn't trust anyone. Not even your father. Cause he told me a week after he found. But I knew he was trying to protect me. He was my protector." "What ever happened to both of them?" I wondered. "As far as I know about Rick... he's in jail for not telling his partners about his disease. Niecy... she passed away last year. Around the same time your father did." "Did you ever forgave her?" "I did... but it was too late." mom answered, wiping her eyes. I got up, going to the bathroom to get some tissues.

As I handed her tissues, she smiled. "I'm sorry you went through that. Must be terrifying." I said, though I don't really understand. Why would he do that? He had someone so special. Thirst was real. "It was. Because I would've been six feet under. But, I hope my story teaches you to be careful. You can always love someone... but can you trust them? I'll let you get ready for your date." mom kissed me on the head, walking back to the bathroom.

Mom's story woke me up. Alex and I been together for two years. I know I'm faithful... but is he? What if mom is right? What if Michael was right?

Chapter 19 is up next....