8 | Kadupul

Lord open his eyes, help him see
Through that disguise that he cannot
See upon the human devil

METROPOLIS GENERAL HOSPITAL
Jul 9, 08:00

The intense smell of flowers woke me up from my nightmare to find the room filled with large bouquets that a strange man arranged by the door. I bolted up and made sure my eye mask was still on.

"What are you doing? Who are you?!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Nightwing," the man apologized, embarrassed. "I didn't mean to wake you. He said we could just come in."

"Who's 'he'? Who ordered these?" He ignored me and quickly ran to the door. I grabbed his arm, hard. "I'm not kidding. How did you get in here?"

"I can't say, sir!"

"It's alright. I sent them." Luthor came into the room waving his hand and the man ran out. Anger and pent up blame filled my every fiber as I grabbed him and held him against the wall.

"You..." I whispered through my teeth. "How dare you show your face here. This is your fault. You couldn't just-"

"Just what?" He said defiantly. "Try to better the world? How was I to know this would happen? Or do you really believe this was my master plan? To lure a batbrat to her death? Bravo, Nightwing. Crackshot detective work. Newsflash: I failed. Something I don't normally make a habit of." I let go and walked away before I killed him. Turning back around, I found him walking closer to her.

"Don't." I growled.

"So," he ignored my threat, "this is the extraordinary girl who survived being burned alive? Her vitals look strong. How did she survive? I'm told she absorbed the energy. Can you imagine? I wonder where it all went. Still in her you think?" His fingers touched her bandaged hand.

"Don't touch her, Luthor."

"Or what? You'll sic Batman on me? Where is the Batdad?" I turned and glared. Clenching my jaw.

"Not. Here."

"Well, who can I talk to about getting her care?"

"What?" Confused and angry, my brain started buzzing again.

"I have to make up for my mistakes. I should've known the threat long before this bright young woman found it in a simple robot disaster. I need to make it up to her and I can. By getting her the best doctors with the latest tech. She won't even need to be moved. They'll come to her."

"You'd do that? Why?"

"I'm not the villain Superman would lead you to believe. Since her secret identity is secret, I assume Batman has her Power of Attorney?"

"I don't think she has one." I muttered wishing to hell Bruce would show up. And that made me loathe myself more for relying on him again.

"Well then. I guess if I had the resources like say, owning the hospital, we could overlook that detail and go ahead with the care and deal with the lawyer stuff after?" I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. For once, not one thing was funny. I couldn't reach Batman. I couldn't ask Superman because he'd say no and not even consider Reg's health. I looked at her, bandaged and dying. I sighed.

"Help her."

"My pleasure." He set down a single white flower on her bed and walked out of the room, immediately talking to someone on his phone. I slumped into the chair beside Reggie. Resting my face in my hands.

What have I done?