6.

One week later.

Grant had come by twice in the past week. The last time he walked into this bland hospital something amazing happened.

We were eating lunch in the cafeteria when he asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner.

"Like on a date?" I asked jokingly. I didn't think he was serious.

"Yeah why not," he said casually. My heart stopped. I coughed uncomfortably and looked at my food.

"Why?"

"Why do I want to go out with you?" He laughed. He looked completely serious though. "Mare, have you met yourself? Your incredible. The most amazing person I have ever met. The second I saw you I new that you were going to change my life."

"Grant is this some kind of joke?" I ask worried.

""What? I don't understand," he said confused.

"You could have any girl in the world but you chose a pale girl with a brain tumor? That makes no sense."

"I- I... Here," he says pulling out his phone. He swipes up to see the camera and then showed me the screen. A girl with short blonde hair and pasty white skin appeared and it took me a second to see that it was myself. "What do you see?"

"I see a potato," said rolling my eyes.

"Really? Cause I see a stunning young woman with fire in her soul. She is strong but loving at the same time," he said kindly. Then he smirked and said, "She's also really hot."

"Shut up," I laughed playfully. "You're not so bad yourself."

"So is that a yes?"

"It most definitely is a yes," I said smiling. 

And now here I am. In my black skinny jeans and white blouse, waiting for one Grant Gustin to pick me up. This all seems so surreal. I know that any fangirl in the world you cut off a thumb to be in my shoes right now but it doesn't feel like there is anything special to it. Grant is just... Grant. He's not the famous actor everyone wishes they had; he is just my beast friend- or I guess now he's my boyfriend. 

I feel a slight tingle down my spine when I say the word boyfriend. I've never really had a boyfriend. Or a real boyfriend at least. The guy I was dating in highschool never really liked me, he just was with me for the reputation. 

A familiar knock fills my ears. I smile and turn around to see a surprised Grant. 

"What?" I ask. 

"Nothing," he says. "You just look amazing."

"Yeah what's new," I say in a joking manner. 

"Hey, where is your partner in crime?"

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"I mean your IV Stand silly," he tells me as he takes my fragile hand in his. 

"Barbie said I could be off constant meds as long as I am back by midnight," I say proudly. This is a step up for me. 

"Then I'll make sure to be back before midnight," he says as we exit the hospital. I feel the brisk and cold air tickle my nose. My feet splash in puddles left by yesterday's snow. 

"So where are we going?" I ask excitedly. I look up at his tall stature from my short one. He looks at me with glee in his eyes, like he couldn't be more happy. 

"Well I was thinking that we could do something simple, like get coffee?"

"Sounds great," I tell him and we walk a couple more city blocks. I try to hide my fatigue when we get there. I haven't gotten that much exercise since my last volleyball game in high school. 

Once inside of the quaint coffee shop that lies short in a sea of giant skyscrapers, I breath a breath of warm air. We order our coffee and take a seat next to a window that overlooks a street brushed with dusk. 

"So Mr. Gustin," I say in my naturally snarky voice. "Why do you insist on being around me in you free time."

"I thought that we had been over this," he responds. 

"Yeah that's not what I'm talking about," I tell him mournfully. 

"I'm confused," he says looking at me with curious eyes. 

"I mean why are you getting close to me when I could just die at any minute."

"You say that like you're okay with it," he says sadly. 

"I am okay with it, Cupcake," I say truthfully. I have had seven years to come to terms with the fact that I may die soon. "I just want to make sure you know that."

The man sighs and takes my hand from across the table. "You know what I do know Mare? I know that I'm right here and you're right there. That's enough for me right now."

The corners of my lips reach up into a grin. The rest of the night goes on perfectly. We walk outside around the greens of Vancouver, stopping every once and awhile to take a picture or watch the boats swim in the harbor. 

We sat on a bench at the waterfront and watched the distant lights flicker. The air was freezing, so I snuggled close into Grant's side trying to feel his warmth. He looks down at me and smiles wider. 

"You are adorable," he tells me. 

"I know," I say crinkling my nose up and making a sour face. He laughs at my expression. 

"I know you know," he says leaning his head towards mine. We are mere inches apart. "I was just reminding you."

The tension was killing me. Was he going to kiss me or just leave me hanging there like a loser. I decide to just break the ice. I take my hand and softly rest it on his cheek. I extend upwards, locking my lips in his. His soft lips taste of the coffee we had drunk just a few hours earlier. My heart races and I can tell by the way he deepened the kiss that his heart was doing the same.

I pull away and breathe, seeing the hot steam of my breath dance in the air. Grant looks into my eyes and smiles. 

"You know something?" he says to me, pulling me in closer to his side. 

"What," respond shivering. 

"I regret not bumping into you sooner," he tells me before placing his lips on my forehead.

"Oh Cupcake," I laugh. "You're such a dork."  

--------------

A/N: cringe.

Please vote!!!