Chapter 10 Overdose

Chapter 10

Bella's POV

I had just worked my last shift at the diner. Tomorrow I would be working at Scotland Yard and Sherlock was my partner. As I walked down the streets my phone rang. It was John. Our relationship was still tense. I didn't trust him at all, but he only called me when Sherlock was in trouble. If he was in trouble he called Sherlock. I answered the phone; I had plans with Sherlock tonight. Nothing was going to ruin that. "What do you want John?" I asked.

"Bella, Sherlock is in the hospital. He's asking for you and he's completely freaked. He won't tell us what happened," John said.

"What room?" I asked stopping in the middle of the sidewalk.

"315 on the north side," John answered. I glanced at my watch and then the street I was on. I couldn't catch a taxi here. It would be faster if I ran.

"Tell Sherlock I'll be there in precisely 15 minutes." With that I hung up and I started running. It was time for all my running around London with Sherlock to be useful. I took several short cuts and I could see the hospital within ten minutes of running. Three minutes later I was taking the stairs to the 3rd floor. I reached the landing and I could hear Sherlock shouting.

"Where is Bella?" Things were getting messy in there and I was running again following the sound of his voice. "Where is she?!" he shouted as doctors tried to pin him down in the bed.

"Here Sherlock," I replied. "I'm right here," I said coming over to his bed and sitting. "What happened Sherlock?" I asked taking his hands into mine and he relaxed.

"I don't know what happened. I had coffee from Speedy's before going to a crime scene and I woke up here. They won't let me leave Bella," he said somewhat shakily.

"Then I'm staying too," I replied. I looked at the orderlies still in the room. "I can tend to him from here." With that they left. "What really happened Sherlock?" I asked gently.

"I didn't try to kill myself," Sherlock said upset. I tried to make eye contact with him, still holding his hands. "That's what he thinks," he said pointing at John.

"Hey," I said gently. "Tell me, just me. Ignore him."

"It was an experiment. I wanted to see how a certain combination of drugs affected a person to see if their alibi was credible. John found me passed out with a needle in my arm. I swear, I wasn't doing it to get high and I won't do it again Bella. I promise, I wasn't trying to kill myself."

"I believe you Sherlock. What did you take?"

"3mL escasty, 5mL ketamine," he replied.

"I'll up his fluids," John said leaving the room.

"Thank you for telling me the truth Sherlock. I know that couldn't have been easy."

"You'll stay right Bella?" he asked. He sounded like a scared little boy.

"Yes Sherlock," I said taking off my coat and shoes, laying down beside him. "I'm staying till you can go home."

"What about work tomorrow," he said.

"I'll call Lestrade early. I'm not working without my partner," I said kissing his temple. "If you don't mind me asking, what case were you working?"

"I was trying to solve your mother's murder case. I almost have it."

I kissed his cheek, "Thank you Sherlock." My mother's case had gone cold almost instantly five years ago. A few hours later the drugs were taking effect and the man I was restraining I barely recognized. He kept trying to remove his IV, his robe; he was shouting awful things at everyone and trying to punch them. I had him on top of me, his back to my chest; my legs wrapped around his and my arms pinning to his side. None of the nurses would come near him.

"Sherlock sweetie, try to calm down," I said as he tried to get up as John checked his IV.

"I could sedate him," John said.

"No, he already has a sedative in his system, mixed in with a party drug. No drugs," I said taking a deep breath.

"This side of him doesn't scare you?" John asked.

"I've seen this side plenty of times before John. This isn't what scares me," I replied.

"Hey Bella why don't we lose the clothes?" Sherlock asked.

"Because when you get your mind back you'll be embarrassed. Sorry Lock, the clothes stay on," I answered.

"Oh, you're no fun," he said pouting.

"You'll thank me later," I replied. Seeing him on drugs scared me because I thought I was going to lose him but when he was high he had the filter of a hormonal teenager. Not that he really ever had a good filter. Hours later he was asleep and I called Lestrade to let him now I wouldn't be able to come in for a few days, Sherlock needed me. Thankfully he understood and anyone who knew Sherlock knew me and knew that he was the only one that I trusted.

I fell asleep holding Sherlock in the wee hours of the morning. I had pulled a double shift at the diner and I been awake with Sherlock for 20 hours before I fell asleep. "Bella," I heard someone call. I had no idea how long I had slept. "Bella," the voice came again and I felt Sherlock move which woke me up.

"What is it Lock?" I asked.

"Thank you for staying with me and I'm sorry that I scared you. You should go to work."

I looked at the clock on the wall. "I think I'll stay with you Lock, I've had two hours of sleep in the past two days." I moved out from under him but stayed beside him. "Lestrade said I could start Wednesday instead of Monday." It was late Sunday afternoon, I knew that. I worked my last shift Thursday; I didn't get off till almost midnight that night after starting at 12 the previous afternoon.

"Isn't almost three, you don't sleep till I do when I do this stupid shit," Sherlock said.

"Yeah, almost three days and stop being an idiot, it's detrimental to my health," I said putting my head on his shoulder and going back to sleep. I could hear him laughing.

"I'll do my best Bella. You may have to kick my arse a few times." I felt myself smile as I drifted off. He was out of the woods and he was alive. I still had my friend. If I had lost him I doubted I would have made it to work, I wouldn't have made it period. If I hadn't met Sherlock I mostly likely would have either died on the streets or become a criminal to survive. Either way I would have eventually ended up dead.

Because he believed me and got Lestrade over to the flat, a cop who trusted him I now had a home. I had a friend, I had a life, I had graduated High school and college and had a job. Sherlock had given me more than I could ask for and more.

Sherlock's POV

Bella was sleeping beside me and I just held her, I couldn't remember much of last night. I knew Bella had been there, I couldn't remember any of the last few days actually other than I had solved the case. I had figured out who killed Bella's mum. He was in jail for three other murders and he was being considered for parole. I took Bella's phone and texted Lestrade.

He had to know, this guy couldn't get out. He had to be tried for this. I would have to explain it to her when she woke up, but for now I would let her sleep. I couldn't keep scaring her like this, one day I would overdo it and I wouldn't be here for her. I knew she needed me; she wouldn't even leave my side now. I pulled her closer and rested my head on hers and went to sleep. I was so lucky to have a good friend like her.