Chapter 16: The Innocent Child

* Ava’s POV *

“Where’s lover boy?” Chester asked as he tiptoed, looking for some figure behind me as if he’d fit without being seen. The guy was huge compared to me.

“He’s at the hospital.” I uttered as I plopped myself on the sofa beside Will.

“What? You got the boy beaten up for real?” Chester asked, laughing at the whole thought, perhaps, re-enacting what happened in his mind earlier.

“No, of course not. I hired someone else to do that. I wouldn’t get my pretty nails get down to it.” I joked as the guys in the room all turned quiet like I had really done the thing.

Chester’s face paled as Will stiffened beside me. Joey even had choke on his drink and Jade had given him her version of a Heimlich maneuver as he went on the ground, groaning in pain. And Clar was sitting quietly as she was watching me.

“Guys, I was joking.” I uttered as everyone relaxed, except for Joey who was still on the floor, whimpering in pain. “I wouldn’t hurt my babe, or let anyone hurt him for that matter.” I smiled as the guys made vomiting sounds, and I remembered Harley, hoping he was alright.

“So what’s lover boy doing at the hospital then?” Jade asked, mocking Chester.

“Little brother had to stay overnight for tests, and he was on duty to watch over.” I uttered. It was sweet of him to actually give up his time to look over Harley, even if he broke a promise of us hanging out tonight, celebrating. But it was fine because I can’t celebrate now knowing his younger brother was sick.

“Colin?” Clar asked and I shook my head.

“Nope. Harley.” I uttered, and she now nodded her head.

The talk about Len and Harley had died down the minute Joey finally had joined back and plopped himself beside me, whispering bad things about how Jade did that on purpose because she wanted his treasure.

I laughed and looked towards Jade as she glared back to Joey, hiding behind my back, but Will was slapping his head to stay away from me, hinting that if he didn’t stay away, Len would get me back.

It was funny watching my friends, and I was glad I have them. They were the ones I’d always run to whenever I needed someone and my parents were out of reach. They never left my side so I was grateful to that.

Noticing that the girls had gone to the kitchen, perhaps to get more food, I followed them, but stopped when I heard Clar and Jade were talking about something that piqued my interest.

“…not his younger brother.” Clar had uttered. “Harley’s his son!” She whispered.

“How did you know about this?” Jade asked.

“Do you remember Kristen? The girl you met from my workplace?” Jade nodded. “Apparently, she went out with Lenny, and she told people the reason they broke up because she wasn’t ready when Lenny broke the news that he has a son. That time they were actually taking things to a deeper level.”

“So Kristen told you because she found out that our best friend is going out with Lenny?”

“Not really. Morgan told me. She said everyone’s now waiting for Lenny to spill out the beans to Ava, and how she will react.” Clar explained.

“What? They’re actually making this some sort of entertainment?” Jade expressed, angrily, but still kept their voices down low. “I’m calling Lukas and confirm with him.”

They called Lukas and had him on speakerphone, without him actually knowing that Jade did it. Perhaps, Jade knew how Lukas would deny everything if he ever found out since he’s mates with Len.