chapter 1

"dad, don't do this." Normani said, following her dad into his room.

"it's done and you don't have a choice on this."

"i'm 20 and you can't control my life."

"i'm your father and i can do whatever the fuck i want, Normani."

Normani cried out in frustration before she left the room. she slammed the door and walked out of the house. she needed to cool off. she dials in a number and puts it to her ear as it rings.

"hello?"

"Z, come get me."

"i'm on it. i'll be there soon."

Normani ended the call as she stood waiting. when a car came rolling through, Normani entered the vehicle.

"he expects me to go with the marriage."

"isn't she the woman that you've hated in high school for no reason?"

"well yeah, it's just i don't like her. i got this vibe from her Zendaya."

"Mani, you said that about Camila."

"yeah, but now she's my sister. i just thought she was shady when i first saw her."

"you can't be judging everyone right off the bat. you never met Din-"

"and you have?" Normani scoffed, crossing her arms and looking out the window.

"look, all i'm saying is get to know the girl first before you say all that shit. she could probably be an amazing person."

"doubt it."

the entire car ride was silent until Zendaya decided to put on some music. she began to sing and Normani couldn't help but join in. there was no point in being mad at Zendaya when she was just stating her opinion.

"Ally said she's going to be in Texas for a little bit to hang out with family after what recently happened."

"when is she leaving?"

"this weekend. she said she wants us to go to a party she's hosting. it's going to be lit."

"you guys know i don't drink. not after what happened when i was young."

"yeah, we know. we'll have some other beverages besides alcohol."

"good because i wouldn't be at the party if there wasn't any."

"Mani, please."

"okay, i'd still go because Ally's my homie and has been there since we were babies."

"don't forget me!" Zendaya said, offended at the fact Normani forgot her.

"i wouldn't dream of it. how's you and Tori? i heard you guys are on a break."

"yeah, she said she needs time to be alone and focus on med school."

"i completely understand on that but how do you feel about it?"

"honestly? i couldn't be more happier for her. she's doing her own thing and even if that means we're on break then so be it. i'd rather her follow her dreams than be in a relationship with me. that's something i don't want anyone to give up on. a relationship will be there for you but what you dream of? that will change."

"damn my girl be getting deep with her shit."

"hell yeah, but we're going to the mall first to get some clothes."