Chapter 20

Grant

I wasn't super ecstatic about Jesse and his cousin Nathan sticking around for too long. After all what man would be okay with his girl's ex staying for dinner?

I was making the dinner which was : Parmesan Chicken and Parsley with mashed potatoes and eggs.  It was a bit of a mix of breakfast and dinner.  Madelyn walked in with a huge smile on her face as she washed her hands and started cutting the vegetables .

"What's got you smiling so hard?" I asked.

" Oh , Jesse was dancing for Caleb and Carebear , it was so cute. "

"Oh , okay." I responded .

"Why?" she asked me and I just shook my head. Madelyn placed her knife down and hugged me.

" Give me a kiss." she spoke softly and I  let my lips find hers to intertwine. I grabbed her waist as she climbed to her tippy toes.  She pulled away after what seemed like an hour.

" See , I love you. And only you." Madelyn said. I smiled against her lips and gave her a peck . She touched my face and sighed before saying , " I could do that with you forever. Any who let's get back to cooking Chef Jackson."  Then she pranced back over to where she was standing and continued cutting the vegetables .

I don't understand why I worried. She was mine to have .

After placing everything on the stove and setting the timer , I went to the living room. Nathan sat watching the sports channel and Jesse sat reading a book to Carolina. Madelyn was laid out on the sofa sleeping with Caleb gently tucked between her arms. I awed at that , kissing her cheek and then waltzing over to Carolina.

"She's pretty bright. " Jesse said looking at me.

" Probably gets it from her mother's side of the family."

" Not to be rude , but didn't her mother die?"

I sat there remembering it , remembering when my mother told me she was dead.

" Yes she did , she made a stupid decision that day , but the best decision we made together was having Carolina. Making her a bit smart . " I let out a laugh.

"  So what made you like Madelyn?" he asked me.

"The same thing that made you like her when you met her in middle school."

"Her smile ." Jesse quickly responded.

I grinned looking back at her.

" She's a bright girl , probably why Carolina's so bright." I added , grabbing her finger gently. 

" And  how do you feel about her not being your biological child?"

" She is my child no matter what. I raised her , I've been there since her birth and I will always be here for her. " I replied , making my voice as grounded as possible.

" You , Caleb , Carolina , Madelyn , perfect family right? " he questioned , but it came out more like a statement.

I patted his back and went to go check on the food which was done. I placed the plates of food on the table and then made Caleb's bottle. I grabbed the high chair from the closet and placed her plate of mashed potatoes.
On cue , Nathan came into the kitchen and rubbed his hands together.

"Foods ready!" he shouted. I shook my head as I watched him sit down. It took a couple of minutes for everyone to get seated , Madelyn walked in yawning with Caleb in hand. I took Caleb from her and kissed her cheek. As I fed Caleb , I noticed Madelyn not eating.

" Madelyn. What's going on?" I asked and everyone stopped eating to look at her. 

" Nothing babe , nothing. " She responded with a smile as she began to eat. Carolina sat in her high chair laughing and eating her mashed potatoes.  I finished feeding Caleb and in walked the others  which were Avan ,Cassidy , Dylan and Nicholas.

"And company." Cassidy shouted. Madelyn got up and hugged Avan. He messed with her hair  and Dylan hugged her too.

"Did you get it? The album ? " Dylan asked her.

"No , I haven't checked my mail yet. I'll go do that right now." Madelyn said leaving the kitchen. Nicholas walked up to me and asked for Caleb. I gently placed  Caleb in his arms and followed Maddy out. I found her sitting on the bench in the patio.

"Well my album came in the mail." She said with a laugh.

" Tell me what's wrong."

She looked at me and then started to cry , " I miss my father and I feel like a total failure. It wasn't supposed to be this way , my dad isn't supposed to be dead. He's supposed to be here , enjoying the life with us."

" Maddy. I know how you feel but there are some people you can't help. Your dad tried to kill you for Pete's sake-" I spoke until she cut me off.

"That's not the dad I miss. The dad I miss is the one who would take me on shopping trips , the one who held me when I cried , the one who protected me , the one who loved me. And maybe if we had gotten him to stop drinking , he could've still been here. And I'm not enough for you , I'm putting too much on your plate."

I grabbed her hand and wiped her cheek.

"I understand how you feel about your dad ,  we'll get past that together. And for you to say that you're not enough for me , is complete bullshit. I love you. I don't need anything more out of you. You're raising two kids and one of them is not your obligation. You are the mother of my child , you are the woman I want to marry. I want to marry the hell out of you so I can call you Mrs. Jackson. You have no clue how much I love you and I'm here for you , through any and everything." She rested her head into my chest.

"Why do I have the best boyfriend ever?" She asked.

"Because he came in limited edition." I said and the air filled with our laughs.  I lifted up her face and kissed her softly.

" You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." I let out , stroking her hair. Maddy got up and took my hand.

" Let's go for a walk." Maddy shouted , jumping up and down. I sighed and followed her as she pointed at things and explained why she liked them. She made me smile and I loved her.

Maddy

I was driving to Starbucks , I was in dire need of a Vanilla Bean. Carolina sat in the back strapped in tight , reading or attempting to read , but she was doing a good job. I had left Caleb at home with my brother and Jesse.  I took my Vanilla Bean , paid the guy and left. My phone started to ring and I answered it.

"What's up sugarplum?" I asked.

"Sugarplum? Is that something new?" Grant asked back.

"Yep." I replied , buckling in Carolina. I kissed her cheek and closed the door. Then I got into the car.

" I'm on my way home right at this moment. Turning the corner near a Starbucks."

I saw his Lexus turning the corner and I followed behind him.

" I know , I'm trailing your tail." I shouted.

"Oh yeah , I see you , aren't you cute?" 
We got home within 15 minutes and it was late again , just like yesterday this day went by fast. Grant got out of his car and grabbed Carolina from my arms . I gripped his arm and smashed my lips against his.

"What do you say about  , putting all the kids to bed and taking a hot shower?" I asked him seductively.

"I think , I like that idea . Carolina and I will race you inside." He responded running off. I ran behind him and laughed while doing so. Grant was a child at heart , Grant was my heart.