Chapter 16

Maddy

I started to run but I fell on my butt. The van pulled over and someone got out. It looked like Derrick and Eric. Derrick held out his hand.

"You guys do realize you scared the shit out of me right ? And I could've died?" I took Derrick's hand.

"We're sorry . " Eric said.

"I wanted to ask you if you needed a ride." Derrick said.

"Well , you could've screamed it. I'm fine with walking. I'm almost there anyway thanks. " Someone grabbed my waist and it was Grant.

" Jackson." Derrick said.

"I had a bad feeling about you , so I came after. You're fine ?"

" Yeah , I guess. "

"We'll be leaving now." Eric said getting into the van. Derrick hesitated but followed. They drove away leaving Grant and I there.

"How well do you know those guys?" he asked .

"Not well , but you would know."

We just stood there and it started to rain.
"Great." I mumbled.

Then he kissed me again and this time for some reason , I didn't hold back. I tongue kissed the hell out of him and it was long before we stopped. His forehead rested on my forhead.

"I miss you." I said.

" Why don't you spend the night ? What harm will it do ? Plus it's dark outside ."

I nodded my head and we walked back to his house.

Grant

I waited while she changed in our room. I decided to look in the baby room. One half of the room was for a boy and the other half.

I had said we were having a girl and she said we were having a boy.

"Grant? You here?" she yelled getting closer . Madelyn opened the door and I just stood there. I didn't like the awkwardness.

"I still think it's gonna be a boy." She said laughing. She walked closer to me and put her finger on my chest.

"And you will owe me money."

"You're still tiny."

"So?"

"So I can beat you."

"But you don't want to."

"You're right."

"Can we watch a movie? And can you paint my nails?"

"Madelyn ." I said staring at her . We were so close. I looked at her up and down , noticing every detail. I noticed her blonde tips. I noticed her body , how small she looked. Her tank top , that had my initials on it and sweats.

"There's someone at the door!" She exclaimed before skipping over to the door. I followed her as she opened the door. It was Jesse , Cassidy , and Ms.Perez.

"Slumber party! " Cass yelled letting herself in .

" To the second floor I go. The alcohol is in the same spot right?" Ms.Perez asked me.

I nodded and they both left. Madelyn went outside to talk to Jesse and I was hoping this would be the turning point.

I got a few blankets and pillows and took to the pullout bed. I pulled it out and placed the pillows down against the headboard.

I went into the kitchen to make popcorn and chocolate. Someone walked in and I jumped.

It was only Cassidy.

"Sorry." she spoke with worry.

I smiled and continued to make the chocolate.

"How long have you been jumpy ?" She asked.

I didn't want to speak about it but I guess she had a right to know.

"The past few weeks but the doctor said it would happen. It's just a reaction."

"Oh . OK.... You know Maddy loves you right? She's releasing her first song too. It's about you , I believe. "

"Really?"

"Yeah. You know it's been weird without you around. "

I hugged Cassie tightly.

" You're like a little drop of rain after the storm has passed by and that made no sense at all." I rambled.

She nodded and I felt the vibrations of her laughter on my chest.

I let her go and she sat on the counter. I continued to make chocolate and I gave her a piece to try.

"So how's Nick? I haven't seen him in a while."

"Nick is Nick , he works hard . He got a job as a chef . He cooks for in town celebs , so whenever one comes over he's gone. Right now , he went on a school trip so that's why we're here. You're coming to our graduation Saturday ?"

"Of course , I am."

The door burst open and in came my mother with Carolina.

" Can we talk about something please Grant?" my mother asked.

I led her to my room, she gave me Carolina to hold , and I was afraid . Of what exactly ? I didn't know. I held her and she smiled.

"What's this about ?" I asked.

" Victoria and Cole , they were missing for a little bit , but I found them. Not in a good condition. Both had overdosed on Heroine , Cocaine , and Methamphetamine . They died."

I didn't know what to feel. I know that I wanted to scream.

"When was this?" I asked.

" Yesterday."

" Where?"

" At a party apparently. She told me she was going to a job interview , I got a phone call about a house party , 9 others overdosed and then they told me about Cole and Victoria."

" So this just happens to mean , I keep Carolina."

"You have to , I can't."

I had just began to sob and I couldn't stop sobbing. My mother placed her hand on my shoulder.

Madelyn walked in slowly.

" I'm so sorry , I was eavesdropping and I heard everything." she spoke before running over to me and hugging me. My mother waved goodbye and I nodded.

I sat Carolina down on the bed and sat next to her . Madelyn stood in front of me , rubbing my head.

" This hurts me so much. Victoria knew what would happen , she knows what happened to us before . We've been through all of this before , and she was even lucky to survive then. I hate how I'm the only person trying . I hate it." I shouted.

" I'm proud of you for getting out of those bad habits , remember you did it for Carolina and Nailah." she said to me.

" I also did it for you."

She kissed me slowly and I held onto her waist.

"Grant , I love you." Madelyn announced.

" I know you do." I replied back. She punched my shoulder and I chuckled as she felt pain in her fist. " Okay fine. You know I will always love you Madelyn."

Madelyn smiled , then got quiet.

"What's up?" I asked , nudging her.

"I told Jesse , well , we broke up. I told him I still loved you and he said he understood . We're just gonna be friends now."

"Good , so I can have you all to myself." I said pulling her onto my lap.

"I'm gonna crush you Grant."

"Trust me , all of this is made of steel . " I boasted , flexing my muscles.

"Really?" she asked looking down.

" That too." I smirked. She winked and that was all it took to get a party started.