Chapter 13: The Tenth Question

Začít od začátku

The examiner began laughing out of the blue. His laughter eventually increased in volume and sounded more fiendish. His expression changed into a sinister look. He smirked evilly at us, "You were unlucky. This year, I am the rule. That is why I gave you the option of quitting. Those who are not confident can choose to not take it, and take the exam next year, or the year after that."

In other words, if one out of the three people chooses not to take it, all three will fail. If someone chooses to take it, and fails to answer it correctly, that person will be a genin forever. Either way, it's bad news! A normal person won't be able to choose which!

Ibiki announced, "Let us begin. Those who will not be taking this tenth question, raise your hands. After we confirm your numbers, we will have you leave."

I gritted my teeth. Just what kind of question is the tenth problem? It sounds so hard! It's like Ibiki is expecting most of us will fail if we take the tenth question! I had a feeling that Kaito will answer the question correctly. I have doubts that I will answer it correctly, but Kazuki... I'm worried about him! I'm worried about myself too!

I witnessed as someone's hand rose up into the air. The owner of the hand stood up with a dispirited look. I was quick to aware that his seat was literally next to Naruto. Every pair of eyes shifted to him as he admitted, "I... I... I quit! I won't take it!"

"Number 50, fail."

"Number 130 and 111, fail along with him."

The man next to Naruto softly said, "I'm sorry... Gennai, Inaho."

Two of his teammates stood up. That's when another hand was lifted into the air, "Me too!"

Two more hands were raised when another voice appeared, "Me, too..."

More hands rose into the air with the sounds of chairs being pulled away as those who gave up and their teammates stood up from their chairs and walked off together. Chuunins ceaselessly announced the numbers of the genins who were confirmed disqualified until no more people lifted their hands up. There were still 81 genins left in the room. I could feel the troubled vibe that was radiated by some genins who were having mental pressures.

I spotted Kazuki turning his head, staring directly into my eyes. I detected the downhearted look on his face. He was also having inner conflicts in his mind. He really wanted to take the tenth question for Kaito's and my sakes; but if he gets it wrong, the three of us will lose the rights to enter the next Chuunin Exam forever. We will be a genin forever because of one mistake. Kazuki, don't you notice? I also have concern for myself. There is a 50/50 chance that I'll get the question wrong.

Kazuki looked over my shoulder and I followed his gaze. Kaito was already staring at us. Judging from his look, he was distressed. He gave us the 'it's up to you' look. He nodded his head at me, indicating that he had given me the decision of whether I should put my hand up or not. I took a glance at Kazuki who nodded at me as well. So the decision has fallen into my hand. I am thinking of quitting this for my teammates' sakes and enter the next Chuunin Exam, but my heart tells me to stay. Which one should I follow? My brain or my heart?

Suddenly; I saw a familiar tanned hand rose up into the air. My eyes widened in shock. Naruto...? Are you quitting too?

As if he had heard my question, he slammed his hand on the table loudly. I nearly jumped out of my skin at the loud sound he created. He then screamed, "Screw you! I'm not going to run away! I'll take this problem! Even if I become a genin forever, I'm going to become a Hokage no matter what anyway!" he paused, standing from his seat to scream, "I'm not scared!"