Chapter 12: The Written Test

Start from the beginning

As cruel as it sounds, what he said was true, though. Kaito had the highest intelligence, me in the middle, and Kazuki the lowest. To be honest, I would have been the lowest one if it wasn't for my father who sternly ordered me to read books back in the Ninja Academy days. I had to thank my father for that. If my father never told me to read books or if I did not obey his orders, I would have been very worried about this first stage of the exam.

"What are you three doing? Go take your seats, now," one of the chuunins chided us lightly. We simply nodded our heads to him.

The three of us were making our ways to our seats altogether when Kaito held my left shoulder and Kazuki's right shoulder and brought us closer, grinning, "Let's do our best, okay?"

But then his radiant eyes changed into serious ones; the grin was still there on his face but this time, it lacked the sincerity and was now an act in order to not get caught by the patrolling chuunins. He whispered, "I will find ways to communicate with you two."

With that said the three of us nodded slightly. Kazuki walked off first since he had arrived at his seat. Kaito and I continued to walk deeper into the classroom when I spotted Sasuke who had taken his seat. My teammate gave him words of "good luck" and walked past the Uchiha. I merely stared at him with an unsmiling expression. The ravenette returned my stare. We kept on staring at one another until I walked past him did we broke our staring contest.

I enthusiastically smiled when I saw a white square card with number [78] attached to the table. Yes, that's my seat. And you must be wondering why I was so excited when seeing a lifeless table. Well, it's not exactly the table I was excited about. It's the person who sat down next to my seat.

It's Gaara!

I excused myself to Kaito and headed to my seat. Kaito was still walking deeper into the room. He must've got one of those seats somewhere back there. But he'll be fine. I couldn't contain my eagerness as I plopped into my chair. Gaara, with his standoffish yet sexy expression, merely took a short glance at me with his arms crossed over his chest. He then stared at Ibiki who stood on the front of the room.

Okay, I should stop staring at him. That will obviously make him more uncomfortable or angry with me. The last thing I want to do is to get myself killed by him. Imagine that you are murdered by someone whom you have taken a liking to.

I heard a pair of footsteps was getting louder in my ears. I looked up to see Neji Hyuuga was heading to my spot. Wait, what?! I immediately stiffened. My eyes were glued to his form, watching every of his movement silently. His Hyuuga eyes then shifted to me as if finally aware of my presence. We were having a staring contest when he broke it off as he sat down on a chair two rows in front of Gaara. So his seat is right there, huh?

Every genin had taken their seats accordingly. Papers which consists of nine questions and wooden pencils were handed to us by the chuunins. The chuunins sat down on the chairs that were placed at the ends of each table. All of us looked up to Ibiki, waiting for his instructions.

Ibiki tapped the blackboard with the white chalk in his hand, "The first exam has a few important rules. I will not accept any questions so listen carefully," he paused as he commenced to write something on the blackboard, "First rule is you all are given 10 points at the start. The written exam consists of 10 questions, and each is worth one point. This test is a deduction based test. If you get one problem wrong, you will get one point deducted. If you get three problems wrong, your points will be reduced to 7. Second rule, the pass-fail decision will be determined by your team's total points."

I heard loud gasps came from some genins all around me. I couldn't deny that I was shocked too. So this means that Kaito's, Kazuki's, and my marks will determine whether we pass or fail this stage. We have to answer the questions correctly as much as we can! But I was a bit worried about Kazuki.