Chapter 65 - Nervous? Who's Nervous?

Start from the beginning

Honestly, it is not because he is my lover, but Liam is really a smart guy who picks up on things very quickly. He is one of our best recruits these last few years, with a very high potential. Of course he still needs to learn a lot and he will have to go back to school before I entrust him with any serious project, but I am confident that he will learn quickly. He might continue working for the company while taking evening classes. Or maybe we can find a program that will allow him to work part-time. This will require some adjustment in our schedules but it should only be a matter of a few years. He is still very young and this doesn't represent much constraint if it can lead him to a nice career.

Later this evening, after a warm shower that ended up with delicious blow jobs and a not-less delicious dinner, we clean up the kitchen and I propose Liam to watch TV in the family room while I work on the couch beside him. Having spent the afternoon in meetings, I have quite a backlog in reading emails and reviewing some reports that Ally left for me. However, I am mostly preoccupied by the audit's results. I don't know yet how long this has been lasting and how serious it is, but I am angry at myself for not detecting that something was wrong any earlier and I hate the fact that I will get rid of some people. Not that I feel pity for treacherous employees, but this means that we will need to replace some of the staff. I will have to talk to Connie, the HR leader, tomorrow to let her know about upcoming dismissals and more recruitment.

As much as I try to concentrate on what I am doing, I can't help noticing how Liam looks a bit nervous tonight. He keeps biting on his cuticles and I systematically brush his hand from his mouth. I wonder if he is still upset by the fact that I was late tonight and scared him. However, just as I am about to ask him if he is alright, my mobile phone rings and I sigh as I accept the call from Allan, standing up from the couch and heading toward my study.

"Don't tell me you're still in the office, Allan..." I grunt, thinking about his wife and kid as I shut the door. Not that I don't trust Liam with confidential information, but I just don't want to bother and worry him with something that I haven't told him about at all yet.

"No, I'm not... I was just thinking about that conversation we had with Myers tonight... Has he told you how far he dug into our archives? Does he know how long this has been going on?"

"No, he hasn't given more details than what you heard tonight, but I was wondering the same. I guess we'll find out more tomorrow..."

"Damn... How could we not see this earlier?" Allan asks angrily.

"I don't know, Allan... Jones has been weird lately... I mean for quite a few months, but I wouldn't have thought that of him. I'm not a super expert in financials and I really thought I could trust him."

"What do you think Myers meant when he said that Derek might not be at the bottom of the problem?"

"I'm not sure. I think he might not be the one who initiated the trafficking. I mostly wonder how many people are involved..." I reply thoughtfully.

"Yeah me too; I wouldn't be surprised that Dominic is in... That would explain the guy's recent promotion. Don't you think?" Allan asks.

"Yeah, you're probably right..."

Allan sighs before I hear Amely call him out in the background. "I'm coming, sweetie!"

"I didn't know you'd given me a new nickname..." I chuckle, hoping to release some of the tension.

"Dumbass..." he grunts in answer, making me chuckle.

"It's late, Allan, go take care of your wife..." I tell him.

"Yeah, you do the same..." he replies, guffawing in the phone.

"Asshole..."

"I love you too, sweetie. Good night, Josh!"