Chapter 1 - Vacation!!!!

(Joshua's POV - Fri. 9 August 2013)

"Thanks Spencer, you can prepare the CAPEX over the next two weeks while I am on vacation, and we can review this when I return so that you can proceed with the replacement of all the laptops," I reply to my CITO who has just managed to sell me his project of renewing the whole fleet of laptops of the company. I have to admit that the contract he has negotiated with our Apple Supplier is extremely attractive and I will most probably validate the purchase when I have the full details. "Ally, please schedule an hour with Spencer on the 26th when I come back," I add for the attention of my Personal Assistant who is sitting to my left.

"I'll see what I can do, Monday is already fully booked, as are all the other days of that week, Sir," she replies with a smirk. Damn! I haven't even started my holidays, and my return is already exhausting me. I am sure she must have wet her panties when she filled up my calendar with meetings and appointments, making sure I would regret coming back from my vacation.

"I trust you'll find a little spot..." I comment sarcastically. "Megan? Anything on Legal?"

"Yes, a few things..." my Legal Manager replies. There we go for the most boring part of the meeting! Please let me be twenty-four hours from now already!! I would be on a beautiful yacht, somewhere in the Caribbean Sea, and fucking my Sub instead of attending a pre-holidays management meeting.

I have been listening to my Leadership team since eight this morning; every single one of them who are sitting around this long table. Rather than listening to the annoying legal matters - it is not as if Pierce Construction had any real legal issues anyway; our litigations are usually minor - let me annoyingly introduce the best of the best. From my left to my right, we have Ally Davis, my beautiful and very pregnant personal assistant; Ally is like everything to me as far as work is concerned: she is my brain, my hands, my eyes and sometimes my tongue; I wouldn't have achieved so much without her - without any of the people in this meeting room as it is. Then we have Derek James, my Chief Financial Officer; he is addicted to figures and his favorite pastime is to play with Excel spreadsheets; much good may it do to him! After all, that's his job; Connie Sparks, Human Resources Manager; probably the only one in her profession who knows how to be close to the employees and to handle them respectfully; Kelly Sykes, responsible for Communication & Marketing; Kelly has the perfect looks to deal with all the public relations shit for me and she does that wonderfully.

At the other end of the table and facing me is Tony, my Security Manager but not only. Tony doesn't have much to do in this kind of meeting because anything he has to report to me is confidential but I want him to attend because I believe that it is important for him to be aware of whatever is going on within the company. The lucky bastard has another woman sitting to his left in the person of Megan Osborn, Legal Manager. I have always wondered what interest people could find in legal stuff; I think it's one of the most boring aspects of a company, but you need that because you never know what could happen; and the day something serious happens, I know that Megan will be the best to deal with it. Then there should be Denzel Orson, Compliance Manager, but he is on holidays at the moment; his seat is occupied by Conrad Dorsley, Manager of Pierce Works which is a subsidiary of Pierce Construction that manages a huge mass of builders, tilers, carpenters, plumbers and whatever professions used in construction. Spencer Ellis is my Chief Information & Technology Officer, a 32 year-old nerdy geek who spends his whole days working on our systems and makes his best to develop and protect them.

And last but not least, my university friend Allan Brightman, who is my Chief Operation Officer and second in command sitting to my right. Allan is one guy whose surname suits him perfectly because he really is a bright man. He graduated university two years ahead, after he skipped two years over his scholarship and he is a genius in business management; he is actually the only person that I would trust with my company in my absence, which is why he will take things over while I am on vacation. Thinking that after this meeting I will be off for two weeks lightens my mood. Goodbye Chicago, goodbye sixteen-hour days of work, and hello sunshine and dolce far niente. However, for the moment, I am stuck in this room with two walls of panoramic windows and among a crowd of nine people.