Chapter 51 - The Calm Before The Storm

(Joshua's POV - Thur. 17 April 2014)

My hand is hitching. My hand is hitching like it rarely has. Liam has no idea about how he should enjoy a painless butt while he can because it won't be the same tune tomorrow. I will definitely make sure that he remembers his lesson well. Ever since Tony called me on Wednesday evening to let me know about what was going on with Liam, I have been racking my brain to understand why he would act so childishly and choose defiance over compromise. If he really wanted to go out with his friend, we could have found a solution and he knows that he should have asked me. I am no tyrant and I would have proposed something - he damn knows it! - , but instead he decided on his own and even ignored my calls and texts, making me worry beyond measure.

Thank God, I have enough self-control as to not let my emotions perspire and I was able to keep my anger within all day long while I was with Allan and Jeff, one of Tony's guys who has served as our driver since I left Tony in Chicago to watch over Liam. We spent this last day in Dallas and it was just as intense as the two previous days in Houston, which allowed me to focus on my work rather than on my little minx at home. Once the jet has landed in Chicago, Jeff gets his car back and drives Allan home and I meet Tony who has come to pick me up despite the very late arrival. Seeing that it is already way past midnight, I could have taken a taxi for once, but he insisted on coming himself.

"How did today go?" I ask now that we are on our way to my place.

"As good as possible," he replies. "Nothing special happened. Mr. Reed looked like a zombie this morning, so I guess he didn't have much sleep last night and we were home by 6:30 tonight."

"Okay, thanks again Tony. I have a very early business breakfast tomorrow morning so I already asked Jeff to pick me up at six so that you can drive Liam a bit later," I inform him.

"No problem."

"Any news on the investigations?" I then ask.

"On the internal one, Spencer is still combing through the telecommunications invoices, the use of data and the flow of emails but he hasn't noticed anything out of normality. And on the other affair, there hasn't been anything new I'm afraid. This Jeremy seems to have vanished into thin air which is not encouraging. If he had really left on his own accord, between the detective's work and our research, we should have found something already..."

"That really sucks..." I comment.

"We are now in contact with his parents and they have also hired a detective since the Police said they couldn't do anything. So we're all working together but we don't have much. Whatever happened to him, it was well organized and prepared."

I can only agree with Tony and it also revives my anger toward Liam. He may find me overprotective or exaggerating but I really care and worry for him. Of course the serial killer that rages in Chicago at the moment operates in darker areas than where he lives or in the Loop; of course the chances that something ever happens to are maybe one out of a million. But what do I care? The one day that something does happen to him, I'll only have to live with it, but it will be too late so prevention is better than cure. So yes, I might be a little excessive, but I am not taking any risks.

As soon as I get home, I drop my luggage in the entrance hall and begin to remove my jacket and tie as I leap up the stairs, too eager to see Liam. I find him curled up on the bed, wearing his pajama pants and an old sweatshirt of mine that I must have left lying around in the bathroom, and peacefully sleeping while hugging my pillow. His blond strands are covering his eyes - and I make a mental note of taking an appointment at the hairdresser for him - and his mouth is forming a cute little pout. I can't say if his intention was to touch me but it works so, without even taking the time to undress, I lie down next to him, remove my pillow from his arms and pull him into my chest, smelling the perfume of his hair. Fuck... I only have three hours before I need to get up again. Liam doesn't wake up but he starts mumbling in his sleep as he unconsciously wraps his right arm around my waist.