Chapter 8 - First Day Alone

(Liam's POV - Mon. 16 September 2013)

I wake up with a start as my alarm goes off at 6:00 am.

This is it. Today is my first official day as Mister Joshua Pierce's personal assistant, without having Ally by side. I am going to miss her terribly, almost as much as Mr. Pierce is going to miss her. Over the past two weeks and a half, I have gotten pretty attached to this sparkling woman. She has been so patient and helpful with me! I never thought I could learn so much in so little time, but we made it thanks to Ally's professionalism and perfect organization.

Now is my time not to mess up and disappoint her, and much less the boss. I need to prove them I can handle the job. As I get up and make my way to the bathroom, I remember last Friday evening before Ally and I left the office together. Our goodbyes were a bit emotional and she gave me a few last recommendations.

"So there we are, beautiful boy," she said as we were standing in the hall downstairs, ready to part ways. Ally has gotten that habit of giving me all sorts of affectionate nicknames, even in our boss's presence, which earned me quite a few blushes.

"Thanks for all your help... You take care of you and the baby, Ally... I'm going to miss you..." I said, hugging her as best as I could, considering her large protuberance between us.

"I'm going to miss you too, Sweetie. Do not hesitate to call me or to send me an email if you have any doubt or question. If Joshua gets on your nerves, if there's any problem or if you simply need to ease off from the pressure he's putting on you, do call me and we can talk it out, alright?" I nodded, hoping I won't need to do this too often. I'd rather leave her alone and let her enjoy her time off. "Don't forget that he's the big boss and that it requires a lot of patience to work with him, but don't let him walk over you!" she warned me.

"I'll try..." I mumbled. Pierce is much more pleasant than Jones, but he is still impressive.

"Don't try Liam, just do it. And I said no more mumbling! I am giving you two goals that you should achieve in my absence. One is to do your best and not to crack down. The other is to gain some self-assurance. When I return, I want to see someone stronger, self-confident and who stands proudly and at ease in his shoes!"

"That's a lot you're asking for..."

"I know, but I'm sure you can make it. I have faith in you, baby boy!"

I don't expect things to be easy in the coming months, but Ally's reassuring words will certainly help me, not mentioning all the work we have accomplished in two weeks.

This has been overly intense, so much so that most of the time, Ally and I had lunch at her desk and worked till rather late every evening. We have reviewed so many things and she has given me so much information that I almost filled a full notebook with remarks, comments, instructions and whatever interesting piece of information I got.

She gave me a detailed summary of all the current projects and development plans, and I have to say I am quite impressed by what the future of this company looks like. The most important development at the moment implies the creation of a new division dedicated to the construction of small-scale luxury hotels; which I already knew a little of since I made the presentation of the financial plan for Mr. Jones three weeks ago.

We also spent a lot of time on some of the most important contacts, both internal and external; this includes high level management people and the most important customers and business partners. She warned me about a few of them who, like Mr. Jones for example, are quite old-school and need to be treated with utmost respect, even if they are detestable, and yet without letting them walk over us.