Chapter 55 - This Is Not Me (Either) !!

(Joshua's POV - Tue. 22 April 2014)

If the dumbass playing drums in my skull could please get out of my head, I should be eternally grateful to him... or maybe is that some kind of stupid Hammersmith that has gripped my head in a vise... Whatever it is, I wish it could stop. Blinking an eye open, I realize that I am still in the bar room, but I close it right away since someone had the great idea to roll up the shutters and the light is like a needle being pinned in my eye and going straight to my brain. Argh Liz and her habits to clean the house from the basement to the attic every day... I really appreciate the perfectly neat home, but I already told her that she doesn't need to do it all the time... And this vacuum is really killing my brain... until it finally stops. But then there's this taste in my mouth... Argh... that's awful... Rolling to my side is definitely not the best idea and my chest starts heaving with sudden nausea.

Not thinking twice, I shove myself up and make a sprint for the closest bathroom which has me run across the bar room, follow the little corridor to the entrance and take the door on the left... It sounds a bit like a slalom and the remnants of Armagnac helping - not mentioning the wet tiled floor - , I quickly get off balance, skid off and fall flat on my face between the entrance hall and the bathroom with a deep thud and a loud groan.

"Oh my God!! Joshua!!! Did you hurt yourself???" Liz screams as she hurries in my direction from the dining-room.

Somehow I manage to crawl to the toilet and barely have time to reach for the pan before my stomach empties itself in the most inelegant noises. After long seconds or minutes of heaving nearly nothing but bile - I actually don't remember drinking that much in the end; that Armagnac was far too strong - I flush the toilet and find Liz standing beside me and handing me a glass of water. I gladly accept it and rinse my mouth several times. With a sigh, I move from my knees to sit on my bottom, trying to recover from my pants as Liz silently gives me some pills and a glass of orange juice.

"Thank you, Liz..." I sigh.

"Joshua, this has to stop!" she says firmly enough to make me look up at her in wonder. That sucks... She is wearing the same severe expression she used to take when I was a child and stealing the cakes she had baked for dinner; or when I would forget to remove my dirty shoes after she had cleaned the floors; or that day I decided I wouldn't tidy up my bedroom to allow her to clean it and left it in a worse state before I went to hang out with my friend. Oh yeah, I remember that day. When I got back home, she had put absolutely the whole content of my room onto my bed and I had no other choice than to put everything back into their right places so that I could sleep that night. However, I have grown up since then, and her scowl no longer impresses me so much. Lies. "You need a shower, so get up!"

I realize that I am still wearing my jeans and tee-shirt from last Sunday but my mind is so hazy that I can't even tell what today is exactly. The one sure thing is that I definitely need a shower though. With a grunt, I lean my left elbow on the toilet pan and try to stand up but I immediately fall back on my butt. Unfortunately, this is not only due to the alcohol I drank and my enhanced instability; I feel a bad pain in my right ankle and this is when I notice how it has swollen. Oh shit... How did I manage that?

"That's what you get for running bare feet after I have cleaned the floors," Liz sighs. "I'm calling Camden," she then adds, fishing her phone from the front pocket of her apron and walking out of the bathroom.

"No, Liz!!! Don't call him!" I order but she ignores all my pleas and I soon hear her speak with my friend.

"Good morning Camden, this is Liz..."

".........."

"Oh really? Well that's great you were on your way here. Joshua sprained his ankle and I really can't help him standing. When will you get here?"