Chapter 65 - Nervous? Who's Nervous?

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"Trust him, Joshua. I have Jeff working with them now and it'll require more investigation later on, but you can count at least on three or four rotten folks..." Tony comments angrily. "I just thought you'd like to know about this tonight."

"Yes, thanks..." I reply thoughtfully, already hatching my own theories. The rattling of chairs brings me out of my thoughts and we all say our goodbyes before Allan and Myers leave my office.

"Joshua, hurry up, it's already way past six and Liam must be waiting for us..." Tony says, already heading out my office with his own laptop bag.

That definitely wakes me from my light daze. Fuck! I didn't even send a text to Liam to let him know that I was going to be late by a few minutes. I hope he is not worrying. I told him we would meet directly at the car in the parking at six, so I hurriedly pack up my laptop, phone and a few files that I will need tonight and meet Tony at the elevator, glad that he had already taken his own things from his office. Our ride down to the underground level is silent and my heart skips a beat when the doors slide open and I notice that Liam isn't anywhere to be seen by the car. It is barely 6:15 but could it be that he got tired of waiting for us and decided to walk back to his place? No, I don't think so. Seeing that the car was still there, he would have simply gone up to my floor...

Damn!! Where could he be now? Tony and I are walking along the wall that leads to the parking area and just as I am about to pull my phone out of my jacket to call him, Liam suddenly and absent-mindedly pops out of an indentation that opens on a space where they stock cleaning machines and products. Liam shrieks out and jumps back when he bumps into Tony who was walking beside me, sticking a hand against his heart as Tony grabs him by the arm, avoiding him a definite fall backward from the shock.

"Hey... what's wrong, Babe? What were you doing there?" I ask as I reach out for him and try to hold me against me.

"Damn!!! You... you two! Y-you just scared the shit out of me!!!" He shouts, stuttering his words out and fighting to disentangle from my arms. I notice Tony struggling to suppress his chuckle at the sight of a fiery Liam. "I didn't even hear the damned elevator doors open! Ughhhh! And did you put some carpet under your shoes or what?? What's with you two always being so quiet?! Damn!"

"Sorry, Baby, just a habit... Why the hell were you hiding there anyway?" I ask, trying not to scold him for his talking back. From the corner of my eye, I see Tony about to burst out laughing. Good thing he walks away to the car or I might as well kick his ass.

"I've been waiting for you for twenty minutes! What were you doing?" Liam accuses.

"I had an unexpected short meeting," I reply a bit dryly, remembering how unpleasant the said meeting was. "I'm sorry, I should have at least texted you to let you know, but that meeting nearly interrupted the previous one and I got caught into some urgent matters. I'm sorry," I apologize yet again, and because I don't want to start an argument already, I pull him to my chest and drop a kiss on his soft hair. "Sorry Baby, next time we'll do as we used to. You'll stay in the office until I tell you we're ok to go," I whisper, hoping for the tension in his body to dissipate. I then lead him to the car where Tony is waiting for us. Thank God, he has recovered his blank expression but once Liam has disappeared inside the car, I see a little smirk on his face that makes me scowl at him.

The ride home is not as silent as I would have imagined after this scene. Liam looks nervous at first but when I ask him if he is okay, he seems to recover his self-control and rambles about his day at work and how Allan tested him and invited him out for lunch - which my friend has already told me about, but it is even better to hear it from Liam. Allan is always amazed by how clever Liam is; he even finds him more efficient and pro-active than Edna who has many more years of experience; Liam's insatiable demand to learn new things and to propose his help to everyone at the Projects Department is always high and of course, people like that because they are able to delegate some of their tasks and they know that they can totally rely on his seriousness.