3. Kill of the Night

Start from the beginning

"why am I not shocked to see you here?" he questioned, his tone teasing, he sat in a stool ordering another drink, I snorted "just doing my job, epstein"

he laughed "so do you feel like an over privileged ass?" he asked after a moment and I suppressed a giggle remembering the not so nice things I had said to Ace about his posy of friends during our first talk.

"I guess I was wrong about a few of you" I relented,"honestly though when I think of where I came from, the state I was in, i'm actually just thankful" he seemed satisfied, an almost serine smile taking over his face, making his dimples visible "Good to know".

Tingles ran along my arm and I whipped around in shock, the feeling I got was different however, there wasn't an undercurrent of alarm that I was familiar with , the undercurrent was awfully calm and I frowned.

I didn't hear a scream, the party continued without a hitch which puzzled me, I knew what I felt. The vibrations from the music hummed through me but even then I could hear my roaring heart and my eyes zoomed around the interior of the building, no vampire could hide in plain sight.

A man stood by the door, tall dark and handsome, hazel, truly golden eyes that made my heart race scanned the room and when they locked with mine, he strode forward.

His hair was dark and he was well over six foot and slender, he seemed to glide across the floor, his stride filled with so much confidence patrons couldn't stop but stare, I narrowed my eyes as the feeling became stronger.

Vampire

my senses warned me, but I shook my head, Vampires were mindless empty creatures, not the handsome, fully competent man striding towards me, with a teasing light in his eyes.

"Can I get you a drink" his tone was light, but the deepness in his voice didn't go unnoticed "She's with someone" I heard Ace growl from beside me.

I swallowed, just as a smile graced his face, I didn't miss how tight it was or how his eyes narrowed as Ace slipped his hand across my shoulder.

After a moment he took the seat opposite of me and I stared at Ace whose face hardened, I didn't know what got over him but his macho behaviour didn't sit well with me and I elbowed him in the ribs. I glared at him "I can handle myself" I ground out just as Ace raised an amused brow.

Anishka didn't waste a moment to snuggle next to Ace who was forced to put his other arm over her shoulder by the time her beige blonde hair came into view. "Ace, we miss you" she whined, I rolled my eyes knowing exactly what that translated into.

Ace chuckled "I'm sure you guys are okay without me" she punched his chest playfully "You know you're irreplaceable, come we're about to start our game at the table" she tugged at him arm relentlessly until he was forced to remove his arm from my shoulder for fear of ripping it off, she tugged him into the crowd of people before he could even say goodbye.

I sighed turning back to nurse my drink, awfully aware of the man sitting next to me "Love triangle?"

I snorted despite myself "If only my life was that interesting" I joked, he smiled turning slightly to face me "Ross" he extended a hand

"Sky" I told him taking his hand just as a bolt of electricity shot along my arm, I released his hand with a jerk, but if he noticed he didn't say anything.

"you might not think it's a love triangle but the blonde sure does" he drawled as his eyes found Anishka conveniently perched on Ace's lap as the rest played pool. I smiled shaking my head "She's totally got the go ahead from me to have him" I laughed, taking a sip of my drink.

He eyed me, those intense hazel eyes studying me for a moment, and a slight headache began forming as I stared in his eyes "That's good to know" He whispered and despite the music I heard him and I swallowed another drink to stop myself from asking why.

Marissa collided into me a moment later, nearly spilling my drink along the front of the golden dress I borrowed from her "Take me home" she giggled, just as Ashen's annoyed face popped up behind her and Oliver's overly enthusiastic face behind him.

I turned to Ross, a part of me wishing I didn't have to leave so quickly, he surprised me when he downed his drink and turned to me "shall we?".

We walked slowly along the concreted area of Millard square as Oliver and Marissa further ahead swayed and sung songs at an awful pitch, Ashen shook his head, he no doubt was disappointed by their behavior , I however understood the need to simply enjoy life without worrying about getting your throat ripped out.

When we were about a block from our apartment, just across Walkers wood, I braced myself for an assault but it never came and I paused in confusion, looking up to see Ross giving me an almost calculating gaze.

I walked in the middle of the street, waiting for the feeling to come but it never did, "Are you okay Sky?" Ashen called, I turned to see his eyes narrowed at Ross. I nodded encouraging him to go ahead with Marissa and Oliver, he hesitated still eyeing Ross and even though Ross was well over six foot, lean and obviously fit I doubted he had as good training as I did and so Ashen had nothing to worry about.

I grinned waving him off "I'm fine" A squeal caught us off guard as Marissa fell to the floor and Oliver trying to help her up also landed on his ass, Ashen released an exasperated sigh and headed towards them.

"Are you okay" Ross asked, nearing me, the tingling sensation amplified and I sighed rubbing my arms, something was most definitely wrong with me.

"I just feel off tonight" I muttered and Ross nodded, tilting his head slightly to study me, he might've thought I hadn't noticed him studying me all night, but I did and it made me shift uncomfortably before I stared into his eyes.

I looked towards Walkers Wood street again, feeling a small pang in my mind "Can I tell you something Sky" he asked in a low voice, I turned to him and nodded, feeling my skin prick with unease at the way he continued to stare at me.

"you've been lied to your entire life" the statement was so blunt it made me pause for a moment to gather myself, I took a step back, just as he stepped towards me and a blast of cold shook my body and sent waves of current through me.

Vampire

I shook my head, even as the words resounded in my mind "no" I whispered in denial stepping back, impossible.

Ross nodded, almost as if he knew exactly what I was thinking, his handsome face crinkled in a snarl as his canines lengthen and the scream died in my throat as I stood frozen.

When he stepped towards me, my reflexes kicked in  as drew the stake from my boot and in a blink of an eye my stake was protruding from his chest and a mortified squeak left my lips as he grunted, reached for the handle then began to slowly pull it from his heart, all the while his golden eyes were trained on me, golden eyes that looked so familiar, a pounding began from the front of my mind, so sharp all I felt was the stab of pain before everything went black.

Kristan Stewart as Anishka Perez