Chapter Seven: The Prophecy

★Alena★

(AQ)

I sat on the red plastic bench reading my favorite book series, The Lord Of The Rings. The bell rang, the sound bouncing off the walls and people flooded the hallways. Laughter and conversations bounced off of the swarm of people. Some off to lunch, others hurrying to their next class. I just got out of French class and our teacher always lets us out early. The crowd finally cleared but I sensed something. I ripped my eyes off of the page and looked up. There, was a girl with black hair rippling like a silk ribbon and eyes as silver as the moon. She turned to me and as soon as she made eye contact my head exploded. Visions of the moon and her childhood danced across my eyes. I saw her dancing with her parents at four then sharing a kiss with another moon being. My mind snapped back to reality. It was her. The moon guardian. She had dropped her gaze to the floor and scurried away. My heart was pounding. I took a deep breath and tried to relax. I needed to find out as much as I could about her. But then the same girl slid past me again and disappeared around the corner. I thought about the visions I saw. She was the one I was looking for. My only question was why the moon was still in the sky. When I am on earth, the North Star is missing from the sky. But if she is the moon why isn't it missing from the sky? The moon is still there, gleaming like a huge light bulb in the sky. I turned this thought over and over in my head but could find no answer. Soon I was drawn back to *Frodo and the Fellowship. Gandalf had just died and they were now mourning. I read on, my eyes flitting from word to word. Absorbing the story and the details. Then I heard the soft patter of footsteps. Stars have very good hearing and can hear a butterfly's wing beat. I looked up but the hallway was empty the walls painted with colorful posters and pictures. Then she turned the corner. My eyes hovered just above the top of my book. She stood in front of me but didn't make eye contact. A second went by, but it felt like an eternity had passed before she turned away and began to leave. No! I thought. I can't let this opportunity go waste. I let my mind fall away from reality and breathed.

"I know who you are." The message floated between our minds and she stiffened. She slowly turned.

"How do you know me?" She said out loud.

"Your eyes reveal everything. I know what you are and where you came from, Moon Guardian."

She fell silent.

"You're a star, aren't you? I can see it in your eyes. Do I know you? You look very familiar."

"I am Alena, Daughter of Entdril, Keeper of the stars. But, you can call me North."

"So, if you're a star, then why are you here?"

"The Universe is under attack. Nartoches have crossed the border and been slowly destroying towns. I have been sent to find you and the Sun Guardian. Will you help us?"

The girl looked down.

"I want to help, but I don't know how to get back. I woke up here, you see. No memory of how I got here, no way to go back. All I get is glimpses of my life on the moon."

"Don't worry. We will figure it out as we go along. Now have you had any distinction were this Sun Guardian might be?"

"I have not. What about you?" She said.

"I do not know either. But I do know that she is here. Somewhere. Good luck Moon Guardian. May we meet again."

Then I turned and walked away.

*The characters in the LOTR are not mine. They are just references from J.R.R Tolkien's book The Lord Of The Ring.