Chapter Four: The Mysterious Girl

~Tsuki Hyashi~

(ATH)

My fingers lightly tapped on my desk as I glanced at the clock sitting above the doorway. Ah, escape was so close yet so far. My geography teacher talked about landforms in Italy and I didn't really care. I knew all about landforms. Sighing, my head plopped resignedly on my arm. I moved my head into the crook of my elbow and closed my eyes.

Bring!!!

The period bell rang and I bolted. As soon as I stepped outside, a flow of escaping students met me, and who would be waiting for me but Rayn? He stood there, smiling, trying to charm me. I rolled my eyes and pushed past him. He caught up to me and tried to grab my hand.

He missed.

And received a death glare. He raised his hands in surrender.

"Cmon, don't be mad." He pleaded.

"I have every right to be." I hissed back and sauntered off, soon losing him in the crowds. After a few minutes, I felt a familiar presence that sent chills down my spine. I turned frantically, but the only person in the hall was this girl. She was watching me intently. Her face was covered by a book; only her green eyes peeked out from the top. Her gaze was emotionless but told me so much. I turned away, and half ran into the girl's washroom. That girl- she seemed familiar. But the sight of her eyes... It scared me. I stared at myself in the mirror and noticed my cheeks were wet. I didn't even notice I was crying. I grabbed some water and splashed it on my face.

"I'm coming"

A whisper of a voice, but it was dark and ominous. The bathroom seemed to bend into itself, blocking out the light. It was as dark as a night sky. And I remembered. Horrible horrible screams. Terror blacked out my mind. The smell of fire and evil. Burning on my forehead. Then I was falling- falling to the ground. I screamed, but it was soft- like the sound of a dying star.

"A star"

My eyes flew open. They were shining with uncontrollable light. I blinked slowly. I can't lose it now. I have to get back. I have to help my stars. I stumbled into the hallway, holding my head. The girl was still there and still looking at me. I shuffled quickly away and headed for the door. I needed air. My fingers brushed against the door frame and I pushed it open. Warm air hit me, clearing my senses. I shook my head and stared up into the sunlit sky.

"The sun"

My face kept scanning the sky, coming close to looking directly at the sun. But I knew I shouldn't.

"The sun..." I whispered. "I.... I have to find her. The sun." My head felt light, and I knew the heat was doing me no good. I dived back into the school, and by now, a few people glanced at me strangely. I lowered my head and pressed onto my locker. Unfortunately, that led me to cross paths with the light brown haired girl still hidden behind her book. I ducked when I passed her, but I could feel the heat from her stare boring into my spine.

Somehow, I made it to my locker without collapsing. I drank some water from a nearby water fountain, which helped greatly. I flung open my locker and rested my head on its door. Breathe. I instructed myself. I closed my eyes and images, memories, crashed behind my eyes. I remembered the soft silk of my moon bedroom and the warmth of someone beside me. The person beside me turned. His dark eyes gazed into mine. I felt the security of being in his arms, sleeping together. He snored softly and I kept waking up. I could see the emblem of a crescent moon on his forehead. His hair was white- like the color of snow. I breathed in the smell of the room. It smelled like roasted marshmallows, and I couldn't suppress a giggle.

I opened my eyes and I was at my locker again. Tears dripped onto the ground and I quickly brushed them away. A new sensation overwhelmed me so much that I had to stagger. What was this feeling? I couldn't even remember who that other person was. Perhaps I simply felt a longing for companionship. It couldn't possibly be anything else, couldn't it? I grabbed my books and my bag and closed the locker less violently than I had opened it. I'd find everyone that I lost when I fell here. I'd find them all.

Turning away from my locker, I wished that my life were as simple as any normal high schoolers. But it wasn't, which is why I always isolated myself. I couldn't get too attached, or else I'd lose everything all over again. The lack of people in the hallways now didn't comfort me. As a matter of fact, I couldn't be comforted. Not when I realized I had someone else. A brother maybe? Or a friend?

Another speck of a memory assaulted me. I could hear my own screams, as I kept falling. But there was another presence beside me. Someone else was falling with me. The feelings faded, and the hallway walls seemed to close in around me. I picked up my pace. I had to find him. I passed the girl again. This time, with no one around, I stood in front of her and her book.

A few seconds passed. She got up slowly and turned to me. Her book that she held seemed forgotten, as her eyes connected with mine. I could feel an electrical tension rising. As I went to turn away, I heard her voice barely above a whisper in my head,

"I know who you are."