Chapter 18 part 1

I woke up to start. I don’t know why but I felt anxious and uneasy, my eyes were wide awake after I opened them. I looked down to check if Jaren was still next to me, my wolf had to see him with her own eyes even though she could feel the heat emanating from him against her belly. She needed to make sure, see that he wasn’t switched with something that felt and smelt like him. When we looked down at him, he was sleeping soundly against our fur, so my wolf settled down a little but she still felt uneasy. We nuzzled Jaren close which caused him to whine and lightly sneeze in his sleep. I chuckled at him then laid my head down near him and closed my eyes to get a bit more sleep in while I could, relaxing my muscles as I did.

Time was going by and I had a hard time going back to sleep, but after 20 minutes, my mind started to get foggy and slowly drifted toward to sleep. But, right when I was about to basically fall into a dream, I heard brush rustling a far distance away but near enough to hear. I opened my eyes up immediately and stood up, grabbing Jaren with my jaws just in case it was a danger. I moved over to Samantha and nudged her with my snout to wake her up. She was sprawled on the ground like spaghetti, from how much exhaustion we went through yesterday of running for our lives, I could understand how hard she slept. Samantha slowly woke up, not nearly as quick as I did and was more drowsy than how I woke up. She looked over at me and I looked toward where I heard the rustling. She stood up groggily as well but quietly and warily. We planned to gun it if their scent was an unknown one or if we could possibly see them and know it’s not one of our pack.

We waited patiently for the wolf to come closer, letting it take its time. It was going at a leisurely pace, but careful at the same time.

It took forever but they finally stepped out of the leaves of the bushes they hid behind and stood proud and tall. But who it was surprised me. My heart squeezed with more worry but also partial relief.

I never thought I would see my father-in-law again after knowing how long it took for them to get here. But I didn’t see Thresh. Samantha yipped in happiness and excitement then ran over to him, nuzzling her head against him. He nuzzles her back then steps a little bit away and licks her muzzle affectionately. I could see, literally FEEL the happiness flowing off of Samantha from seeing her mate, but she didn’t realize that her son wasn’t right next to him yet.

I didn’t want to ruin the moment yet so I walk a few feet away and lay down again to let myself rest some more, putting Jaren down and cuddling him close to my body. I rest my head on my front paws and huff to myself. I look over at Jaren who was still sleeping soundly as if nothing happened. If he’s just fine then there’s no trouble yet. I closed my eyes and let myself lull into sleep again by my son’s heartbeat and breathing.

I slowly opened my eyes on my own this time, instead of being woken. It was kind of nice but a little saddening, not having Thresh sneak in and snuggle up to me, which often wakes me up but pleasantly. I look over to where I last saw Samantha and Jake and they were sleeping right next to each other, with Samantha laying her head on his body and vice versa which looked like a yin and yang symbol. I stood up slowly, so Jaren would not wake up, who seems to be the sleepiest baby I’ve ever seen. As I stood up, I snatched him into my jaws and walked up to my in-laws’ sleeping forms. I looked at them and hesitantly lowered my muzzle, scared to do what I’m thinking. I begrudgingly put Jaren on the ground right next to his grandparents, moving him as close to them as possible.

I took a step away, looking down at Jaren who was fidgeting already. I slowly begin to walk away, still watching my son lay there, but as I was far enough away, I saw him open his eyes blurrily searching for his mother. I silently whine as I see this but I turn my head away and walk away. I needed to be away from them. Not Jaren, I can feel deep in my soul that I could keep him with me forever but I knew I needed a little time to myself and away from the couple. I took a stroll around the area we were at. I was about a mile out when I heard rustling of leaves in the distance that seemed like they were in a hurry. I didn’t know whether to keep my guard or run back to where my son was. My first instinct was screaming to go back to Jaren but my conscious told me to hold it, so I did.