Track 32 - Here I Am, Rock You Like A Hurricane

"Oh HELL no," Grandma Marie muttered, one hand pressed to her heart as she swayed back on her heels, gaping at Paul in disbelief.

This was bad, Lainey realized. Very bad. Grandma Marie never swore. She reached out a hand to steady her grandmother.

"Grandma, please come in. You should sit down. I know this is a shock--"

Marie didn't even acknowledge Lainey. Her eyes were narrowed at Paul.

"What in the name of all the saints are you doing here with my granddaughter, looking like you're not a day over 21?" Her low, even voice held an ominous undertone.

"You know, Lainey's right, maybe you should come in and take a seat and we'll have a cuppa tea and explain what's going on," Paul suggested.

"This isn't a tea party." Grandma Marie straightened. Both fists rested on her hips. "Start explaining."

"Well you see, we met this summer in London," Paul began, placing the soup on the table in the foyer.

Lainey let her hand fall back to her side. "I was given this strange looking ring from a gypsy," she added, her breath still short from the angst of seeing her grandmother and Paul face to face.

"A ring with magical properties," Paul said.

"We seem to be able to time travel now," Lainey finished, waiting for the shock to register on her grandmother's face.

Instead, Marie's gaze meandered down Paul's body and back up to his eyes. "Is there anyone else with you?"

What was she asking? Lainey wondered. Did she think they'd brought a young George Harrison forward in time somehow?

Paul shook his head. "We haven't exactly been announcing to the world that we have this ring, you see, 'cause that would be daft."

"I'll tell you what's daft. You thinking that you can waltz in here and romance my granddaughter. Because I know you, Paul McCartney, and you only have one thing on your mind when you're not playing music. And I don't see a guitar in your hands."

"Marie." Paul said her name like it was a disappointment to him. "I know it must be a shock to see me here, looking like this, and that you're likely startled, but I thought we were friends--"

"Oh we were friends all right. That's how I came to know you so well." She wagged a finger in Paul's face. "I wouldn't have advised any of my girlfriends to take a chance on you. I know what a silver-tongued devil you are. If you think I'm going to stand by and let you tamper with my granddaughter's emotions, you have another think coming."

"No one is tampering with anyone's emotions." Paul scrubbed a hand through his hair, his jaw clenched with frustration.

"I've seen how you operate. Many times."

"I was a teenager, Marie. I may have broken a few hearts when I was a kid, and I'm not exactly proud of it. But I'm not a kid any more, and I'm not playing games with this girl's heart."

Marie seemed to be just getting started. "Lainey may be young, but she's an old soul, and she will quickly realize that your game plan is not the one for her."

"That's true, she is an old soul. And we have connected on a deep level." Paul sounded almost thoughtful.

"Oh hell's bells, I'll just bet you have."

"We've spent a lot of time together, Grandma. We've gotten to know each other..." Lainey interjected.

"More good news," Grandma Marie said flatly. She finally looked at Lainey. "Does your father know about this?