Track 7 - Gotta Be Rock n Roll Music

Lainey opened her eyes to soft London sunlight filtering through the sheer curtains of her hotel room. Anticipation flooded through her as she sat up in bed. Tonight, if this wasn't all some sort of strange hallucinatory episode, she was going to see a Beatles concert. She had no idea how she was going to get to Weston-super-mare without the aid of the internet. How did people ever leave home in 1963? Maybe there would be a helpful soul at the front desk.

On her way to the bathroom, Lainey picked up an envelope that had been shoved underneath her door. Inside were instructions on how to get to the train station, what trains to take to get to Weston-super-mare, and a set of train passes. There was a note enclosed, signed by Neil, telling her to ask for him upon check-in at the Royal Pier Hotel.

Lainey folded everything back into the envelope and stuffed it into her purse with a huge smile on her face. Paul certainly didn't leave anything to chance when he wanted something. And poor Neil, was he on duty 24/7, running around, arranging everyone's dates for them? No wonder he looked tense.

On the train, Lainey sat with her backpack beneath her feet and her handbag on her lap, wishing she dared to turn on her phone to take pictures. The scenery was breathtaking, and the inside of the train reminded her so much of silly scenes in the movie A Hard Day's Night that she had to stop herself from sitting there with an idiotic grin on her face for most of the trip.

A mother with two school-aged children sat in the row of seats across from her, and when they brought out old-fashioned bottles of Coca-Cola and drank straight from the bottles, Lainey almost laughed out loud remembering John Lennon pretending to snort "Coke" in the movie.

The Royal Pier Hotel was only a short walk from the train station and Lainey made a side visit to a shop to pick up some necessities - shampoo, deodorant, a couple of flowered skirts and sleeveless tops, the cheapest ladies watch she could find and a package of lovely pink granny panties, the only ladies underwear available. The clerk didn't blink an eye when Lainey paid for everything with her giant bag of coins.

The granny panties alone would guarantee she wasn't going to let Paul see her undress, Lainey thought with a smile. Her virtue was safe now.

Neil retrieved her from the lobby with a flash of what could almost pass for a smile. Lainey supposed the sea air and sunshine had put even Neil in a good mood. He slung Lainey's overstuffed backpack onto his shoulder and led her into the lift. "What have you got in here, a dead body?" he asked.

"Money," Lainey replied. "Tons of it."

On the third floor they walked down a narrow corridor, past an open doorway of a room where a party seemed to be going on. Music blared from behind several of the other closed doors, but over the melee Lainey heard a door opening behind them and a shrill whistle.

"Bring that girl and that rucksack in here, Neil!" Lainey spun around to see Paul smiling from a doorway midway down the hall. Neil continued walking, but Lainey was drawn to Paul as if by invisible strings tugging her toward his glowing face and trim, lithe body.

She paused in front of him, grinning back. "Hi. I made it."

"You made it!" He was wearing snug dark jeans and a white T-shirt that was untucked and riding up his waist as lifted his arms over his head, gripping the doorframe. He stood there, rumpled and sexy and unshaven, beaming down at her.

"You can stay with me in my room, you know. You're invited."

Lord. That was direct enough. He was laying it all out there, what he was after, just in case there was any doubt. Lainey took a step back. Granny panties, she reminded herself. No one was ever going to see her wearing those. As long as she didn't wash the couple of pairs of thongs she'd arrived here with, she should be safe. "We should talk about that. I'm staying in my own room while I'm here."