Track 12 - You May Say I'm A Dreamer

The daily newspapers were delivered early to the Beatles' suites at the Royal Pier Hotel. Paul and John dove in, devouring every word of the reviews of their shows and sharing the highlights aloud.

"If you want to hear the Beatles, buy their records," advised one reporter. "When the Liverpool beat sounded last night at the Odeon Cinema, it could hardly be heard for the screams--ecstatic, hysteric, joyful, demented--of teenagers. A pity this, because the Beatles, in spite of their theatrical gimmicks, their long locks and with-it suits, have a great act. It is sheer showmanship and real ability which has brought them in less than two years from a small pub-singing group to the top of the pop parade."

The Beatles "thumped out their rhythm with gay abandon and kept their fans on the edge of their seats," another reporter wrote. "The capacity crowd lucky enough to get tickets stood on seats, screeched and waved; some girls tried to climb onto the stage, and a pair of miscreant women even attempted to divest themselves of their clothing and policewomen had to be called."

"I never saw any women digesting their clothing," John remarked.

"Better start wearing your glasses, mate," Paul said.

He continued reading aloud: "When asked about the number of girls who faint at their shows, John Lennon was quoted as saying, 'They need more smelling salts on tap to keep the teeming screenagers in the perpendicular at a Beatling session."

"A reporter asked how the Beatles felt about all the screaming and Paul McCartney said, 'We don't mind people screaming, really, it's all good fun."

"George Harrison claimed to be tired. 'Touring is hard work,' he said."

"Where are the quotes from Ringo?" Lainey asked.

"Drummers don't speak. Their only noise is provocative percussion," John said.

Serving carts full of breakfast food were delivered to the suite, George, Ringo, Maureen and Neil padded in, and everyone helped themselves while waiting for the photographer to arrive.

John moved to a table with a bowl of cornflakes and a large black rotary dial telephone in front of him. On his striped dress shirt he wore a white button with "I Love Paul" in big red letters. Lainey poured herself a cup of tea and sat across from him, blatantly eavesdropping on his conversation. Today she was going to learn everything she could about John Lennon, and hopefully when she cornered him later on she'd know how to approach him with the grim news about his future.

"How are Julia and Jackie?" John was saying. After listening for several minutes, he began talking about someone named Mater.

Holding a plate heaped with eggs and chips and sausage, Paul took a seat next to Lainey. He seemed to be always hungry.

"Who's he talking to?" Lainey whispered to Paul.

Paul shrugged. "Likely Aunt Mimi."

"What's Tim been up to?" John said into the phone.

Lainey rested her chin on a palm and gazed at John while he wrapped up the call. The minute he hung up the phone, she smiled at him. "Why are you wearing that I Love Paul button?" she asked.

"Because I love Paul," John said, starting in on his cornflakes.

"Can I have it?"

"No you may not."

Her smile widened. She decided to ask the question she really wanted to know. The curiosity was killing her. "Who's the Tim you were asking about?"

John looked up from his cereal, regarding her as if she were a fan who was starting to bore him. "If you must know, Tim is my cat. I haven't seen him for a month."