Chapter XXIII

"What Power is and what it shouldn't be"

Miyoko's POV

For once I was glad to have practiced to surpass shock and focus on what was important. So even before Yukki I spoke.

"What?!?" I said loud enough for it to echo through the room. Morina seemed to frown and pout, and I wondered if this was truly the woman-- elf I knew. She waved her hand once with unearthly grace.

"Now I shall speak and you will not." She clapped her hands and I felt my lips press hard against each other. As if they were literally sealed shut. "Handy little thing magic is, huh?" Morina asked and waved her hands as if showing them off. I spared them a glance, only to see they deserved more. There were jewels embedded into her knuckles, black blood surrounding them where they pierced the skin. "I am Morina. I am not under your control neither do you have power over me. If anything I have power over you. But I shall choose to help you, because Anteia isn't arriving for another decade or more, and I'd like to play wife. I've planned it out already. You I will permanently change into Tsubaki-- poor thing is paralyzed for the rest of their life anyways-- and myself into you. Miyoko, on the day she leaves will leave Tsubaki in charge of the village. So you get to stay here and play lord, and I get out. We can even make the townsfolk forget you existed if you so wish," she finished and waved her hand again, the spell releasing me so suddenly I almost fell. I took in a breath I wasn't aware I was lacking.

"What?!" I couldn't help but ask again, lost for any other words.

"I will not repeat myself. If Miyoko has bad ears I'm sure you've heard me Yukki," she looked at Yukki and I couldn't help the hate, the axe that now pointed itself at her. Morina was making war.

"I... Sister Morina why?" He asked, stepping to stand beside me. Morina, seeming satisfied with his words, spoke.

"You don't remember me your sister. I thought you did, but you don't. And by Miyoko's face she doesn't consider me a friend, anyways. I was not supposed to stay in this village, nor will I. Consider this an act of kindness, and the last you'll see of me," she said and curtsied in the white gown she wore.

"But Morina you're my friend, I've never had power of you! You stayed here because you have a place as a friend and a healer. I want you here," I pleaded. I didn't want to be Kizen's bride, but I wouldn't just let my friend-- or what was left of her go into the lion's den.

"I do not belong here, you have no right  to be selfish. You're a lord darling, or whatever this ruined village deserves," she said with a scowl. "Now come, I have no intention to further this argument and Kizen arrives in less than a week," she said and turned leaving out the door. I looked at Yukki for the first time that Morina had arrived and his expression didn't tell me anything, yet at the same time everything.

He was at a loss of words as I was. Desperate not to let me go but not to let Morina either. Couldn't we just kill that son of a bitch instead of having to make plans to fool him?

"No, Massari is too powerful," he frowned and I realized I said that out loud. "It's alright my lord, we're done with practice for today," he said and turned away, walking towards where the swords stood. I subconsciously felt for my hair as I turned around and followed after Morina. 

I wanted to practice longer.

I sighed and went outside, putting on my coat and draping my cloak over it. As I opened the heavy doors that lead outside a cold wind blew over me.

It didn't snow in Corona. It rained and stormed but didn't snow, and I felt a tug at my heart. Snow was something familiar, something I liked. I felt like I had memories of it snowing but... It didn't snow in this whole region. It couldn't.