Chapter XIX

"Cursed blood"

Miyoko's POV

Ignoring my orders, Yukki kept a safe distance around me as I looked for Anteia. It took us around two hours to cease searching for her, it was more or less hopeless anyways. If someone like her didn't want to be found, or was simply gone, we wouldn't be able to find her.

With Ezamie in front of us looking for a shorter route we ran through the forest and it barely took us five hours to get home. It was far into the night then, Nina almost dozing off at the top of the gates before she let us through. I let them take Duke to the stables and went home alone. The chilly autumn wind playing with the red fabric of my cloak.

Leaves rustled on the trees as I made my way through the darkness of the night to home. All of the lights were out, Akira probably asleep along with Tsubaki, who was still wounded.

The doors creaked as I quickly shut them closed behind me, I took a deep breath. Home. I was finally home.

I was far from being at peace. I needed to send a letter to the Dragonlaws, who would probably call for an immediate meeting where my guards and I would be interrogated. Tsubaki was still hurt and Anteia still missing. I had to meet with the Treasurer tomorrow and get my portrait painted. But for now. I was home.

The stairs of the wooden house whined as I made my way upstairs, past my room and to where Tsubaki slept. Gently I opened the door, for a familiar sight to grace my eyes. The hearth filled with still red coals, Tsubaki asleep, her hair tied into twin tails. And Akira asleep at the bedside.

Akira. One of the more peculiar people in the village. She had long, beautiful fair hair, and bright, rose colored eyes. Almost similar to Ryuu's. She was beautiful, to be blunt, but her beauty exceeded that of a normal woman's. Every woman was beautiful, whatever hair, skin or eye color they had. No matter what shape or size. But I was fairly sure that Akira didn't fall into that category, and that she was different from a normal human.

I tip-toed past her, and crouched next to Tsubaki, stroking his long green hair. It felt like silk under my fingers. "I'm back, my friend." I carefully whispered, before I let my exhaustion finally take place. I stood up again, and soundlessly left the room.

Once I was back into my room I carefully put my sword above the dead hearth, and threw my dagger where it stood in my nightstand. I carelessly kicked off my boots and cloak, not bothering with my shirt and pants as I slipped into my bed, and closed my eyes.

The cold of my room kicked in, and something felt... wrong. Out of place. I stood up and I wished I didn't. Maybe then I could avoid the thousands of spirits haunting my room.

The butterflies flew around silently, their white wings flapping without the sound, and they moved around me. I jumped out of bed alarmed, spirits could only mean one thing, and I wasn't about to let Tsubaki die on me. I sprinted out of my room and slammed their door open, as if I could wake up death. But I was wrong.

Akira stirred in her sleep and woke up, she looked around, and as she realized she was still in Tsubaki's room, she left. Passing through me as if I was a ghost too. Tsubaki's chest slowly but steadily rose and fell. And that could only mean one thing.

I was dead.

I backed out of the room in shock. "When did I die? How did I die? Where did I die? How long have I been a spirit for?"The questions swirled as a tornado of thought inside my head as I hit the wall of the hallway.

Her voice echoed as a hoarse whisper, like the ticking of a clock.

"Murder... Murder.. Murder.. Murder..," and I barely mustered the strength to look.