Chapter 23

🌸 My team was the first to reach the location followed by a team from the Waterfall Village. We were invited into a building to be told the exam would not start until the next day. For the meantime, we will be under the Sand Village's hospitality.

Master Toneri sat on his bed while I stood in front of him. We were having a discussion about our next moves to capture Hinata.

"That other Hyuga.. What is his name?"

"Neji Hyuga. He's my— Hinata's cousin." I quickly corrected, almost calling him my cousin. Habits die hard. Although I knew the cold, harsh fact that he isn't related to me, I have been calling him my cousin from my earliest memories.

"He is known as a prodigy, mastering advanced techniques from a young age. I heard his Byakugan is the strongest pair in existence." I explained further about him.

A menacing smile graced his lips. "Bring me his eyes.."

"Yes, Master Toneri."

Although I want to object it, I know it is not wise. I owe him great debts and I must return the favour by completing his goals. His goals quenches my thirst for revenge, it is a win-win situation; however, Neji is extremely intelligent and strong. Despite training endlessly for the past three years, I'm not confident that I will be a formidable opponent to him. After all, he is a genius.

I should observe him to find his weakness and that means getting closer to him; however, he will definitely sense something is wrong if I were to suddenly befriend him. I must think of a way that would seem inconspicuous.

"I have told you before we came here, but I'll remind you again. Do not reveal your true strength until the time comes. We must not attract too much attention that would arise any suspicion."

"I understand. What should we do next?"

He crossed his arms and hummed. "Focus on your task for now."

I nodded my head and held in a sigh. I have been his only company for the past few years and he is still keeping so much from me. He does not trust me, I'm merely his tool. Although Master Toneri and I feel nothing towards each other, his feelings towards Hinata disturbs me. Because I feel inferior towards her. In the hearts of the people, she is the most important and her value is higher than mine. I hate it.

Don't I worth something too? Tears brimmed my eyes as I asked myself that question.

Master Toneri's hand suddenly raise and gently cupped my cheek. I was so surprised by his gesture. He had never shown any sign of affection towards me and this was truly the first time.

He smiled earnestly, "Further actions will be discussed after details of the second exam are announced. Take your time here, I'm not in a rush to bring Hinata to our home."

Our home? A tear slipped and he wiped it off.

I smiled as I remembered the reason I'm loyal to this fearsome and extremely powerful man. He was the only person who treated me like a family. From the first day, he had taken me in, fed me, trained me, and was never upset with me. He would smile all the time, aside from the times he was a little too obsessive about Hinata.

"Let's go." He said and led me to the canteen for our dinner. At that time, my clone had long been gone when she entered my room. I had to conserve my chakra. She will be summoned again before we have to gather for the test.

When we entered the canteen, the leaf ninjas were quietly seated in two groups. Master Toneri walked towards them as I walked closely behind. The lavender-eyed girl was the first to notice us and waved Master Toneri over.