Chapter 13

🌻Ever since the incident with two members from the Akatsuki, Itachi and Kisame, the way towards Tazuna's home was incredibly quiet and tense. Even Naruto dared not to speak up, probably sensing that the tension was so dense that he felt suffocated. As for Sakura, she did not spare me a look at all; let alone talk to me. She went as far as to avoid being anywhere near me. Of course, it broke my heart to be treated this way. At least I knew she was in good hands, Sasuke has been keeping an eye on her and stayed close by her side in case she needs him. The treatment she gave me was the same as to Kakashi. To be honest, I was also curious. It does involve me after all, as the true heiress of the Hyuga clan.

Acknowledging yourself as a Hyuga already? I chuckled silently, feeling nothing but hate and disrespect towards myself.

Sakura is not the only victim here. I am as well, whether she likes it or not. She lived a part of her life with my family. Although they treated her badly, at least she once had a family despite the fact that it is not her real family. As for me, I lived alone, thinking I did not have anyone to live with. To think I am alone and that my family must have hated me to have left me alone ever since I was born. If it was not for the Hokage, I would not be here, living.

At the same time, maybe Sakura felt a lot worse than me. To be bullied and taunted at a very young age and to bear the responsibilities as a heiress. In addition, being her, she must have suffered from pessimistic thoughts; especially about herself. Not only that, she has to bear the weight of watching her family die in front of her eyes. The people whom she grew up with, slaughtered mercilessly. Whether or not they treated her badly, she did live with them from the moment she opened her eyes. All the hatred she felt towards them probably vanished and replaced with excruciating pain. A pain so intense to the point where she does not even know what is pain anymore. Make sense?

Anyway, maybe it was a relief to her that she has no need to bear the responsibilities as a heiress to the Hyuga clan. Maybe I should feel pressured to hold the burden so suddenly without any knowledge and necessary trainings. However, all I can think about was how Sakura took it all in because no matter what, she is the one receiving the strongest impact.

I plopped my chin on my palms and my elbows resting on my knees. I stared up into the sky as my visions swayed slightly due to the unstable boat floating on the river. The boat was our only transport to the Land of Waves. Tazuna was responsible for building a bridge across this river which was still in the process of completing.

I heaved an exasperated sighed, thinking how long will this keep up. The issue about this true heiress of the Hyuga clan and all.

So the one who followed me around.. It wasn't Neji after all. It's probably Itachi since he knew so much compared to the shark-looking guy. I recognised his presence very well.

🌸I sat silently on the small boat and hugged my knees. My gaze locked with the base of the boat. Ever since that unexpected and terrifying encounter, my brain could not stop spinning, my mind would not stop drowning my head with questions. Questions I do not have an answer to. My heart felt terrifyingly calm and it beat incredibly slow. The wincing pain on my heart slowly disappearing. My heart got heavier and it became more difficult to breathe.

...But I was perfectly calm.

I did not hyperventilate, nor did I have a panic attack. You can say that I am used to this behaviour of my heart. Is it strange? I suppose not. It would be strange when you are still new to it, but when you have felt it for years, it would probably be just another routine for the heart other than pumping blood. Yeap, I am trying to say that this happens all the time. There is no need to panic nor to think twice about taking action. There is no need at all. It is perfectly normal.

Many may think they are struck by an unknown heart disease, or think that they are about to die because the only time where the heart naturally beats slowly is when one is on the brink of death. Have no fear, this will not bring immediate death.

The misery will slowly eat you and you will slowly.....

...die.

I was unwilling to speak about my thoughts. I did not want to think about it as it will only interfere with my mission. I locked all of those thoughts and thousands of questions in a chest and shoved it deep into the darkest part of my mind.

I will not let anything stop me from performing well in my mission.

Even if I'm not a Hyuga, it does not mean I'm weak.

🍁🍂🍁🍂

Dedicated to Tsunemori for your votes! She's also a Naruto fanfic author, so check her out!

Warning: As this story progresses, you are in for a surprise. ;) That is when the fun will start.

~Joelle

Published: April 2015
Edited: 18 April 2017