Chapter 24 - Thanksgiving Awaits [Part 1]

Start from the beginning

"Shut up, you know what I mean. What's on it?" I clarified.

"You'll find out soon enough," he smirked, following me out of the house.

***

"Have you lost your fucking mind?" Daman greeted Silas as we both walked in through the front door. I was still shaking from speeding off of Lucas's property without getting caught.

"Nice to see you too brother." Silas smiled and patted Daman on the back.

Despite Silas's older age, he was definitely the immature one of the two.

"Do you know how much trouble you could have gotten in if someone had seen you guys? Valentina is in medical school right now, Silas. She can't afford getting arrested for helping you break into your ex-boyfriend's house." Daman shouted at his brother.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." Silas opened the fridge door and pulled out a beer.

"What are you even doing here? I don't remember inviting you."

"I love how high the tides get in the fall. It's perfect surfing weather." he ignored Daman, staring out the large glass window and at the sea.

"I brought him here so Lisa wouldn't kick his ass for running off," I explained.

"Silas!" Daman tried getting his brother's attention but it was no use. Silas was not in the mood for talking. Instead, he ignored us and walked out to the backyard, taking his drink with him.

"He's been like this all of today," I told Daman, hoping it would make him feel a little better.

Daman exhaled loudly and pulled out a bar stool before taking a seat.

"I made reservations." he said, turning in his seat to face me.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows at the random remark.

"For thanksgiving. The company is celebrating thanksgiving in Hawaii together and I thought you would want to come. At first, I had planned for us to spend the holiday with Silas and Lisa here at home. But the last thing I want to do is deal with my brother right now." Daman explained.

"Daman that sounds fun but--"

"But what?" He angrily cut me off, careless to hear my excuse. It was as if he thought I didn't want to go with him.

"I have school. I can't just miss class."

"You pretty much have a week off. That's enough isn't it?" Daman persisted. "If you don't want to spend thanksgiving with me just say so."

"Daman I'm in medical school. I'm not working a minimum wage job. I have homework, and labs, and projects that need to be done. I would love to go to Hawaii with you but I don't think I could spend an entire week there." I explained.

"So if it were less than a week you would go?" he raised an eyebrow. I could practically see his brain churning and ideas running through his mind.

"Yes?" I nervously responded.

"Well, that's an easy fix. I can change your ticket to leave on Wednesday. You can meet Leo and me there." Daman grabbed his laptop and went to Hawaiian Airlines's website.

"Oh my god," I placed my head in my hands. "You're crazy."

"So you don't want to spend thanksgiving with me!" he closed his laptop and turned to face me.

"I do!"

"Then why did you just say that like you were upset that I was changing your flight?"

"Never mind, just forget I said anything. I am very excited to go to Hawaii with you and your coworkers and your son." I stood up and walked to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water.

"Alright then," he shrugged and resumed his change of itinerary.

"You know, if it's easier, you can change Leo's flight too. That way you won't have to worry about looking after him while you work."

"If you have to study, you should study without distractions. I'll have one of the wives look after him."

"You can't just leave your kid with some random woman and hope she'll take care of him."

"It won't be some random woman. These are my friends' wives, they've been in my life for a while now."

"Well if you leave him with me, it won't be too distracting. He can play games while I study." I tried to come up with an idea but as I said it aloud, I realized how difficult it would be. Studying while keeping Leo busy: it would definitely be a challenge.

"You can meet us there on Wednesday," Daman said. His eyes were focused on his computer and his voice was so firm it wasn't even a question or a statement, it was a demand.

"Are you mad at me or something?" I asked wearily.

"No. I just really wanted you to spend the week with me. But I'm mostly mad at my idiot of a brother." Daman continued to scroll through whatever he was reading on his laptop.

"Oh. Okay, well I'm going to study. This is my last week of school before the break so I have my midterms."

"Okay, I'll just be here dealing with Silas." Daman sighed and looked outside at what looked like Silas yelling on the phone. Or maybe he was just talking to himself.

***

Mahalo and enjoy your stay.

The intercom turned off and I snapped awake. The flight Daman chose for me left at 3am and landed at 7am Hawaiian time. I had studied for half the flight, and slept for the remainder of it. Saying I was tired would be an understatement.

After gathering my belongings I exited the terminal and found Daman and Leo waiting for me. Daman was texting on his phone but Leo quickly spotted me and ran over to me.

"Valentina!" he shouted and wrapped his arms around me.

"Hey, Leo!" I smiled at him. "Did you miss me?"

"Yes! Dad has been grumpy all week." He pouted.

I looked up and saw Daman walking in our direction. He offered me a small smile.

"Hi," he placed his hand on my lower back and pulled me in for a quick kiss.

"How was the flight?" He glanced at his phone one last time before placing it in the pocket of his...board shorts. Daman in board shorts and a t-shirt!? I never would've expected that.

"It was good. A little tiring." I shrugged. We began to walk out of the airport and towards the parking lot.

"Sorry about that. The only flights that were available for Wednesday were either much later in the day or the early plane that you took."

"It's fine. I was able to sleep a little bit."

"Valentina, yesterday I went swimming and I saw a shark!" Leo screeched, his voice echoing in the parking garage.

"A shark?" I gave Daman questioning look as I laughed at Leo's exaggeration.

"It was a turtle," Daman chuckled, unlocking a white convertible.

"Daman, what is this?" I pointed at the BMW.

"Do you like it?"

I leaned against the car, watching him lift my bags into them in the trunk.

"How could I not?" I smiled.

"Listen, I know I've been hard on you for joining us later in the week, but I think the four days that we spend together here will be fun." Daman packed the last bag and walked towards me. He cupped my face in his hands and kissed me.

"Be prepared for the best thanksgiving ever!" he grinned.