Prologue- The Start of a New Summer

Accepting Daman Fioravanti's request to nanny his child was probably one of the most reckless decisions I have ever made in my life. Let's just keep in mind that I was extremely desperate in that time. I had just graduated college and my parents tried to ship my ass over to France so they could have a good time on their cruise.

I know what you're thinking; after college shouldn't you get a job? But no, as a future doctor, I still had several years of medical school ahead of me. Only the problem was, I had to get into medical school.

I would be taking the next year or two studying for the MCAT. I didn't have enough money to afford a place of my own, so I thought it would be nice to head back home and stay with my parents. But no. They had other plans. They had bought tickets that would take them on a nice little summer-long cruise to Cancun.

They decided that I needed to ditch my textbooks and spend the summer at my aunt's house in France and eventually make my way over to Italy where my dad's cousin has been living.

Little did they know, I wasn't planning on spending the summer with any old family members. I would only be making a quick flight from San Francisco to San Diego rather than from SF to Marseilles. Not that my parents cared enough to check my ticket. For all they knew I was out of their hair.

Thus meaning I was in San Diego with all the money I had saved up from my job at the pool where I worked as a swim instructor--a raging total of $2000. I did, however, keep in mind that my sister's house is in San Diego and vacant due to her being on a lovely summer long honeymoon to Greece with her new husband.

So as terrible and unethical as it may be, I got my hands on the spare key to her house, barging in to borrow some clothes and get a good nights sleep. I also may have borrowed her pearl white (with black leather) Audi A6. I couldn't resist that one.

So I guess you could say I was borderline homeless. I didn't have anything of my own really, besides some old clothes and swimsuits I had brought from San Francisco.

It only took me the next day to realize that I didn't have anything here.

Sure, it could have been better than being smothered by family in France, but at least, I would be with family. I was slightly familiar with San Diego but I didn't have anyone here with me.

As I was moping around La Jolla, a wealthy neighborhood not too far from my sister's house, I decided to sympathize myself and binge out on ice cream. After sitting down with my cup of dessert, I didn't even feel like eating anymore. What was I going to do? Here I was stuck with nothing to do and no one to be with.

"I don't want that!" I heard the wailing cry of a little boy, interrupting my thoughts. I snapped my head up, looking at the screaming child who was running out of the ice cream parlor.

Maybe it was fate or maybe just bad fucking luck that caused the little boy to fall. Whatever the cause was, I was on my feet, helping the boy up.

"Dude, are you okay?" I blurted as if I was talking to a teenager, not a five-year-old.

"My dad said that I have to go to my mom's house if I want ice cream but I don't want to go there." He wailed.

I helped him up, brushing back his curly light brown hair. It was all over the place, with blonde strands blended into the mess. The whites of his green eyes were glossy and red with tears. And his nose was a disgusting mess of snot.

I grabbed a napkin from my table, and wiped the child's face gently, trying to clean up a bit of the wet mess. After using all my napkins and coaxing the boy, I was startled by a loud voice.

"Leo! Tornare qui!" a loud voice boomed at the little boy. "Quante volte devo dirti? Non si può scappare così!" the deep Italian words caused me to jump up to my feet and greet the green eyes that were now directed at me. Whoa.

"No! Non voglio andare!" the little boy screamed, hugging my leg. "I do not want to go!"

"Leo!" The man walked over, and pulled the little boy off of my leg and picked him up. The kid flutter-kicked his legs, trying to escape being held. His foot kicked the man's chest leaving a small footprint on the tailored suit.

"I am so sorry. My son, he skipped his afternoon nap today and is feeling a little under the weather." The man cleared his throat, his voice loud over the child's cries.

"It's no problem at all." I gave a small smile trying not to stare at the authoritative man.

He looked a little young to have a kid like he was in his late 20s or early 30s. Despite the frustration and fatigue in his eyes, his face was chiseled to perfection.

"He just...has had a long day and he runs off a lot. I really—" the man rambled, his cheeks tinted with light pink embarrassment.

"It's okay really!" I reassured.

"I'm Daman Fioravanti." He stuck out his hand.

"Valentina." I shook his hand

"Please don't let him take me there!" Leo cried, shoving his face into the crook of his father's neck.

"Leo shhhh, it's alright. He hates going to his mother's house but I have to work and can not leave him home alone." Daman explained, soothingly rubbing Leo's back.

"Hey, you'll be fine. Aren't you excited to spend time with your mom?" I tried to help the poor man out.

"No, I hate her!" Leo screamed, tightening his grip on his dads' neck.

"I'm sorry for his attitude." the dad sighed, running his free hands through his dark brown hair.

"I don't want to bother you anymore, I'm sure you're dead scared of having children now." the authoritative looking man let out a strained chuckled.

"Not at all, I work as a swim instructor so I'm constantly dealing with temper tantrums." I laughed.

"No kidding? Does babysitter happen to be in that job description?" he jokingly laughed.

"You know, if you need a babysitter or something, I can help out." I shrugged, hoping I wasn't overstepping my boundaries.

"Oh, no. I was only joking. Leo is a lot of work." Daman lowered his voice.

"I taught a kid with epilepsy for four months. I'm sure he's not that much work."

"Really?" the man's voice perked up. "Well, I'll need a full-time nanny, not a babysitter. Are you interested?" he inquired.

"A nanny?" the idea sparked into my mind. What's the harm... Sounds like fun to me.

"Yes. My last nanny decided she was too old for kids. I have an open room in my house. If you were interested, you would be asked to move in, to spend as much time with Leo as possible. I'm constantly at work and babysitters are unreliable."

"I..." I began to decline, stating I wasn't looking for anything full-time, only to be stopped by reality. Reality was reminding me that I was homeless, I didn't have enough money to last the summer, and worst of all, I was lonely.

What better way to fulfill than to get a summer job?

"Okay." I accepted, clearly not knowing what was to come.

Hope you like it! This is totally different than the other story I'm working on. I usually write my stories on Microsoft Word and finish them but I'm going to try writing this one as it goes hahah we'll see how that turns out lol. Please vote and comment! <3

I'm totally open to write about whatever, and since this story is not completed, comment your ideas and I can add them into the story.

P.S. the attachment is a picture of how gorgeous La Jolla is 😍 If you have enough time on your hands google La Jolla real estate and I can guarantee you'll fall in love--and trust me when I say its even more beautiful in person.