T w e n t y - S e v e n (edited)

~ val + wolf "bonding time" aka my favourite chapters lmao, its a short-ish one but its quite important, stay aweeesome ~

"Do you ever answer your fucking phone princess?" 

"Wha-oh my god, GET OUT WOLF!"

"Why? I need to brush my teeth"

"Why are you even in my house?!"

"Would you believe me if I said it was because I needed to update my collection of your underwear?"

Thump!

"OUCH! alright, alright, I'll wait outside then.. remind me to stay away from you in the mornings, you violent woman"

Wolf slams the door, and I just about collapse against the cool tiles of my shower. My heart feels as if it's going to burst out of my chest, but when he's around- I've become oddly accustomed to that. The warm water streaming from the shower head does nothing for the blush overtaking my cheeks. All I ever seem to think when he's around is why, why, why, WHY?! He is so infuriating, so unbelievably infuriating. 

Don't act like you're not relieved that he's okay. 

The guy has seriously made a habit of breaking into my house.

You're still relieved.

I want to slam my head against the wall just to rid myself of these constant inner conflicts. I swear that I'm losing my mind, slowly but surely. I scrub my body down and rinse the conditioner from my hair. I ponder staying under the water for a little longer just to sort my head out but when I hear something crash in the other room, I almost trip over my feet as I wrap a towel around me.

"Now what have you done yo-", Wolf shoves his hand over my mouth, my eyes widen when the door handle of my bedroom begins to twist. I should be yelling at him to hide under the bed, in the closet, in the bathroom -probably the best idea-, anywhere, and yet I feel completely frozen. Frozen despite his body heat pressing up against me from behind, frozen despite the warm shower I'd just had, frozen despite the blush decorating my face. Frozen because I can't rip my eyes from his. 

"Valentina are you home?"

Wolf nudges me hard, mouthing 'answer!', he pulls his hand from my lips, "uh yeah, sorry I just knocked something over". I hear her mutter something from outside and then, her footsteps echoing further and further away from my door. 

Phew, one less thing to deal with. Now..

I let my eyes run over my room, messy but nothing appears broken. I note that my underwear drawer isn't hanging open, but that my bed definitely looks slept in. The mess on Wolf's head is also evidence of this. 

Cute bed-hair. 

No, nope, not cute.

Wolf has a huge grin on his face, "I've gotta say, princess, this is my favourite look on you"

"Just get out Carter", I bite back, he needed to leave before I got in trouble. 

Liar.

Maybe I just didn't want to be around him after that asshole stunt of ditching me the other night.

"Ouch, what's up your ass babe?", he plops down on my unmade bed, his large frame hardly fits and yet, Wolf lays there, dominance oozing. I feel oddly possessive of my bed at this point. I feel my fists clench as he begins leafing through an open history textbook, after discarding that on the floor, I watch as he leans on his stomach, over the side of my bed, to look underneath.Not that there is much under there, a couple of dust balls maybe, some plastic boxes containing clothes, probably a few old, and very much loved, books. Regardless, who in the hell did he think he was?!

"Do you mind?!", I whisper-yell. My annoyance was at its boiling point. 

Distractedly, he tosses me a pair of my undergarments, "Please, just get dressed before I do something stupid princess. Don't fret, I'll be here awaiting your wrath." Muttering a few choice words directed at the giant lounging on my precious bed, I make my way back to the bathroom, grabbing an old t-shirt and some pyjama shorts as well.

 I splash my flushed face with cold water, thinking of ways to remove the boy from my room. Why did he come here? Why didn't he just go home?  

Maybe he couldn't go home for some reason, and needed to seek some kind of refuge? I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wolf Carter doesn't have many people looking out for him. Maybe that's why he came here. Or maybe he just lives to piss me off. 

If I knew more, maybe I could begin to think about how Wolf Carter works. He's not much of a talker though. Then again, it's not like I've been an open-book throughout whatever this is. And that's been good! Simple and easy really, no misunderstandings because there are no unnecessary feelings involved. But only simple and easy until answers are needed, and there is absolutely no way to get them.

Maybe I really do over-complicate everything. I shrug on the t-shirt and walk out from the bathroom. My hair drips, leaving wet marks in the carpet. Wolf is surprisingly silent and as I glance over, I realize why. 

All the air feels like it's been sucked from my lungs as his long fingers flick each page, his eyebrows are furrowed and his head is tilted to the side, trying to understand. Trying to understand. Warning bells seem to be the only thing I can hear as I stomp over and rip the book from his grasp.

He looks even more confused, as I slam the dreaded thing shut and throw it in the closet. Not caring that a few photographs had fallen to the floor in my anger. I sit on the edge of the bed, forcing myself to remember how to breathe properly. I let my head fall into my hands, my eyes focused beyond the boy in my bed, beyond the mess of my room, beyond the tyrant that is my mother just outside the door. 

A picture of Emerly, Matty and I eating ice-cream at a beach, all of us sporting the biggest smiles possible. That was a good day, we had gotten a random person to snap the memory because the parents were too busy to accompany us. So happy. Nothing like now.

Wolf didn't say anything but he had shuffled closer and was resting his chin on one of my hunched over shoulders. No words were needed, the silence was weirdly enough. 

I really needed to reconsider how I'd been dealing with everything, but with Wolf just being here for me, like this, all I could think about was how he was getting too close. The comfort he had been bringing was quickly replaced by a very real fear. So I did what any normal person would do when they encounter feelings, I ran into the bathroom and locked it behind me.

I wasn't sure how long I stayed in there, but when I finally came back out, I found Wolf in the same place I'd left him. He was reading one of my Harry Potter books when he looked up, we didn't say anything then either. 

He just wrapped his arms around me, I made myself swallow the brewing anxiety. I let myself enjoy this temporary comfort while it lasted. 

It seemed that Wolf Carter had the ability to make me forget the world, whether he realized it or not- and I couldn't work out if this was something I should hold onto or something I should add to my list of 'Things To Runaway From'.